Start-Up vs. Corporate? What Your Leadership Preference Says About the Environment You Will Thrive in
Kenya is swiftly becoming a hub for a lot of startups. This means that we have a bigger pool of employers who are coming to us seeking people with an entrepreneurial spirit.However, it is important that you consider whether your personality inherently fits into these types of environments. Below are 7 questions to ask yourself as you think about your next job opportunity:
- Do you authority and influence from day one? Or do you want to an opportunity grow into that position?
- Do you embrace uncertainty (are you okay not knowing what problems you will have to deal with on a daily basis)?
- Are you comfortable taking on multiple roles both from a function perspective and a level perspective? Filling in wherever necessary? Entry-level to management?
- Are you still unclear on the role and direction you want your career to go and thus willing to be exposed to different skills?
- Do you have an out-of-the-box mentality? Or do you prefer structure and methodology?
- Are you comfortable with trial and error in working to achieve success? Do you embrace failure as part of the process?
- Are you okay if you have to seek mentorship outside of your company because the people you work with are the same age and roughly the same level of work experience?
If you answer “yes” more than “no” to these questions, consider being open to an entrepreneurial environment.