Part of climbing the job ladder or being fulfilled professionally comes with investing in developing skills of interest to you and of value to the job market. Some companies do a good job at professional development; from webinars, to in-house coaching sessions, to certificate / tuition reimbursement. However, given that not all places are that idyllic, it is important to take initiative and self-invest. This investment does not need to be expensive to be effective. Below are some places to get a good, cost-effective, online education that you can pursue at your own pace.
- Chandoo.org offers excel tutoring for all level; beginner to advanced.
- Lynda.com offers different coaching on different skills including excel, UX design, animation, among other things.
- Mediabistro.com offers a range of digital-skill courses from becoming a social media expert, to becoming a better writer, to becoming a Public Relations (PR) pro.
- Mindtools.com – If you are looking for different career development skills like management, leadership, time management, conflict resolution, or even communication, among others, this site provides not only a measurement of your proficiency on these skills but also tools to improve.
- Workitdaily.com offers free videos on how to have a successful career with everything from how to make your boss like your to ways to earn respect in office meetings.
- Code Academy – If you have been paying attention to industry trends, the tech scene has been booming in Kenya and there is a high demand for coders. This site will not make you an advanced coder, but it can be a good start to determine if you want to purse a career around these skills, or even to do some light coding at work.