Nairobi , Kenya
about 1 year ago
CDC’s mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives, in some of the world’s poorest places. They aim to invest in countries where they can have the greatest impact. This means investing in countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce. Current investments are in: health, education, agribusiness, manufacturing, infrastructure, and financial institutions. Last year the business invested and created more than a million jobs.
As an investment organisation, they use commercial skills and judgements to invest in great companies and to support them to grow over the long-term. They are looking to attract people who have commercial skills, as well as the motivation to use these to improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia.
The Human Capital team provides support to CDC’s deal teams and investees on people & organizational issues. This work is core to the investment process and especially critical in the markets they invest in. Their work is wide-ranging but focuses, in particular, on assessing and strengthening Boards and management teams.
One week they might be helping an investee in Cameroon with succession planning and the following week they could find themselves in Zimbabwe, assessing a senior management team they’re thinking of investing in. The work is nuanced, challenging and varied.
To support this consulting work, this person will be building a range of human capital services for CDC, their investees and the wider market. Services they’re currently creating include: a talent mapping product in Myanmar, a training programme for fund managers and a service provider comparison tool, among others.
As a team CDC works hard, moves quickly and expect a lot of themselves and each other. More importantly, they love the work and have fun doing it. They’re looking for someone who’ll feel and do the same.
- Manage, design and deliver an on-going pipeline of internal & external comms
- Help the team build a network of C-level contacts and service providers
- Contribute to the on-going analysis of the team’s impact within CDC’s portfolio and the wider market
- Own several internal work-streams, including tracking, monitoring & evaluation of projects across CDC
- Support on the design and delivery of the team’s consulting projects
- Support on the design and delivery of the team’s services
- Product management, consulting, marketing or prior human capital experience
- Strong communication & relationship management skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong research & qualitative data analysis skills
- PowerPoint wizardry
- Ability to work flexibly in an early stage environment
- Grit and ability to deliver high quality work within tight timelines
- Positivity in abundance
- Ability to work with a remote team
Desired Skills and Experience
- Passion for creating work that addresses significant human capital challenges
- Excel expertise
- Experience working or living in some of the markets in Africa and South Asia
- Interest in development finance
- Inquisitive & hungry to learn
- Eager to take, deliver and act on feedback
- High expectations for self and others
This role reports to Freddy West, Head of Human Capital team.