AMI is a social business pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning for Africa. They use a blended approach, combining a mobile app, in- person workshops and on-the-job practice to help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and job seekers advance their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. They have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged an impressive portfolio of clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and trained over 20,000 individuals through 65 blended learning programmes in 11 African countries. They are currently focused on B2B and large projects.
AMI is looking for an ambitious and talented Business Development Manager to join their team in Nairobi as they expand their portfolio of business and organisational clients in East Africa. S/he will report to the Head of Business Development for East Africa as senior member in a team of BD Managers and Associates.
The successful candidate will be a key player in a dynamic, international team focused obsessively on results. They work hard, innovate constantly and have fun. This is a great opportunity for a business development star with a passion for learning and business growth to play a part in Africa’s transformation.
The Business Development Manager will be an aggressive and ambitious business development professional who consistently beats targets and sets the agenda in his or her sector. S/he must be a driven self-starter; a tech-savvy professional with great people and project skills, and the ability to analyse an organisation, understand its learning and development needs and work with AMI’s world-class learning design team to scope and sell a solution.
The successful candidate will focus on building and managing AMI’s portfolio of mid to large clients. This will include both businesses as well as partner organisations (intermediaries such as business associations).
- Strengthen AMI’s pipeline of partner organisations and businesses (B2B) in Kenya.
- Achieve and surpass monthly and quarterly sales targets.
- Understand business needs and work with the learning team to craft solutions.
- Identify and generate leads through networking, events, and business associations.
- Identify new market segments and opportunities; Work with the learning and product teams to develop new products to meet the needs of these segments.
- Manage the full sales cycle including prospecting, contacting, nurturing and closing deals.
- Work closely with the rest of the Business Development team to develop and improve on best practices & processes.
- Work collaboratively with the learning team to devise strategies that meet the client's needs and budget.
- Work with programme management teams to manage client relationships throughout the sales cycle and beyond.
- Manage client contract renewals and pricing.
- Support partner organisations in marketing AMI services to constituents.
- Proven success in consultative sales and B2B business development.
- The drive and tenacity to meet quarterly targets.
- Ability to identify and help solve problems for potential clients.
- Ability to generate new ideas and relationships and systematically convert those leads into deals.
- Ability to negotiate pricing and contracts with mid and large corporate clients.
- A commitment to AMI’S values of excellence, innovation and accountability
- Clear and effective communicator – both written and verbal
- Strong people skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Rock-solid integrity.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university of equivalent experience.
- 5+ years business development experience, specifically selling consulting or business services (B2B).
- Documented success managing a full sales cycle.
- Direct experience working on client accounts.
- Experience writing business documents such as proposals and training presentations.
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential).
- Experience using Sales force or other CRM system.