4 months ago
For over fifty years, Aga Khan University Hospital, (AKUH) has been taking care of families in East Africa. As a private, for-profit hospital, they strive to provide access to quality healthcare to all who need it.
The Mombasa Cluster presently consists of The Aga Khan Hospital, Mombasa (AKH-M), is an 82 bed secondary care hospital, and 8 outreach health facilities. A business plan framework for the cluster which is under implementation will see the expansion and repositioning of both the hospital as well as the outreach health facilities. Programmatically and in addition to existing services, the hospital is introducing specialization in cardiology, oncology, rehabilitation medicine, advanced diagnostics and will also be part of the continuum of care for regional cardiology and oncology programmes. Additionally, over the next 5 years, additional outreach centers will also be established.
The CEO for the Mombasa Cluster is expected to lead and oversee this exciting phase of development and expansion. They will assume leadership and accountability of the overall strategic and operational planning and management of the Mombasa Cluster. These mandates will be carried out within the overall strategic direction of Aga Khan Health Services, East Africa (AKHS-EA), leadership and guidance of the Department of Health (Geneva) of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) and the Board of Directors of AKHS,K and in accordance with the AKDN’s East Africa Integrated Health Strategy.
The Mombasa cluster has also recently received a 5-year grant for improving access, utilization and quality of Maternal and New Born Child health activities in the Kilifi County and the CEO will also be required to assume leadership for the successful implementation of this project.
The CEO will be reporting to the Regional Chief Executive Officer, AKHS – EA.
- Oversee processes and activities to ensure ethical clinical practices, good outcomes and the delivery of safe and quality healthcare across the cluster. Continually monitor patient satisfaction and take appropriate steps to ensure a high level of patient safety using the Joint Commission International standards of care. ?
- Lead the strategic, capital, human resource, expansion and budget planning process in accordance with AKHS-EA and Health Department philosophies, objectives and agenda; ?
- Lead the strategy development and implementation of the Aga Khan Hospital Mombasa and cluster business plan ?
- Achieve and maintain strong financial health based on the principles of self-sustainability. Build on the fiscal strength and stability of the Mombasa Cluster through proper management and monitoring systems. ?
- Undertake appropriate strategies to enhance access to the health facilities within the Mombasa Cluster. Develop strategies to ensure that the cluster’s activities and programs are relevant to the community that it aspires to serve. ?
- Develop and implement a communication policy for the Mombasa Cluster for all stakeholders ?
- Explore areas of collaboration and cultivate positive relationships at Government, healthcare communities, NGOs, media, Aga Khan Development Network institutions, donors and funding partners. Perform as a spokesperson and representative of the Mombasa Cluster. ?
- Create an environment of continuous improvement that fosters collaboration between Physicians, Nurses, Allied Health Professionals, and Administrative Staff and promote communications and good public relations within the Cluster community. ?
- Represent the Mombasa Cluster in all relevant forums and meetings. Participate at required departmental meetings, Board of Directors’ Meetings, Senior Leadership and all other relevant meetings as required. ?
- Manage performance of direct reports; providing guidance, advice, discipline and counseling as required; ?
- Uphold social, ethical and organizational norms in all related activities. ?
Requirements & Qualifications
- Masters Degree in Health Care or Hospital Administration or in Business Administration
- 8 to 10 years of executive-level experience in Health Care Administration in a Hospital or International Health Organization environment.
- Extensive knowledge of current health care administration, principles and practices. ?
- Extensive knowledge of management principles, practices and procedures including accounting & finance, purchasing, personnel, facilities, human resource and related supporting services within Hospital ?areas. ?
- Ability to analyze operational data and employ approved management techniques to obtain maximum ?effectiveness and efficiency. ?
- Ability to interpret established policies into operating procedures to facilitate implementation of hospital ?programs. ?
- Ability to evaluate concerns of the public and translate such concerns into effective operational ?procedures. ?
- Excellent people management, interpersonal, leadership and delegation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent project management, presentation and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent financial management competencies and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent and positive influencing skills at a senior customer and stakeholder levels. ?