3 months ago
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that makes hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban slums for everyone, forever. Their systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: they build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality toilets as small businesses in urban slums. They provide critical support services – such as access to finance, training, marketing and business analytics. They collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. They convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and protein for animal feed. Finally, they sell the byproducts to Kenyan farms. Since November 2011, they have launched over 3,000 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of 1,500 micro-entrepreneurs serving 120,000 people daily. They have safely removed over 20,000 tonnes of waste from polluting the environment and destroying community health and converted it into high-quality fertilizer.
Role and Responsibilities
The Chief Business Officer is responsible for the financial, administrative, and operations management of the organization, combining parts of the roles of Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and Chief Operating Officer (COO). Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Business Officer is responsible for successfully executing their strategic plan by ensuring each business unit achieves or surpasses its goals and objectives and support their expansion into multiple countries. The CBO will manage a diverse set of teams including Finance, Talent, IT, Procurement, Accounting, Maintenance, Continuous Improvement, Quality Control, Health & Safety, and Business Risk Management and fosters a customer-focused, success-oriented, accountable environment throughout the entire organization.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the company has proper operational systems and financial controls in place for measuring, monitoring, improving the efficiency & effectiveness of all internal processes, including through structured continuous improvement approaches like Six Sigma.
- As a true business partner to the CEO and Country Leadership Teams, develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide timely, accurate, and relevant insight into the organization’s operations & business plans.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and Board of Directors and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Ensure adequate financing to accommodate growth plans by overseeing cash flow planning and assisting in planning and executing future financing rounds.
- Lead corporate policy development, implementation, and improvement across all operations as a member of the senior management team.
- Represent the company with financial partners, including financial institutions, funders, auditors, public officials, etc.
- Lead and implement the strategy for talent acquisition, retention, engagement, and organizational culture.
- Mentor and develop all of the country level managers reporting to you; managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Build teams and infrastructure for efficient and effective operations in other locations within Kenya and other countries as they expand.
The CBO will be a seasoned and mature leader with 10 years of broad finance, operations, and people development experience, with a strong foundation in accounting, talent development, data and technology, and experience gathering and analyzing financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership.
The CBO will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree; MBA preferred.
- Six Sigma certification or similar experience in operational excellence.
- CPA or similar designation or experience.
- Demonstrable passion for Sanergy’s mission; a hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the CEO of a multi-divisional organization.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality.