about 1 year ago
The Chief Commercial Officer must be a strategic and commercial leader with a proven track record of scaling entrepreneurial businesses across Africa or another emerging market, ideally with a tech and or education component. The successful candidate will work with the CEO to develop and implement commercial and growth strategy, and build/lead the company’s sales and marketing teams in existing and new markets. Leadership experience in an EdTech or a high-growth business in a B2B market would be a strong advantage. Experience at a senior level in a high-growth entrepreneurial environment is a must. The candidate must be based in, or willing to relocate to Nairobi, Kenya.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead all aspects of commercial and growth strategy, ensuring commercial strategy is aligned with broader company vision.
- Take responsibility for revenue across markets, managing some key accounts directly, while also leading sales teams and processes in local markets.
- Lead analysis of new market entry and assess new business lines.
- Use a data-driven approach to identify winning commercial channels.
- Take overall responsibility for establishing the business’s brand at the forefront of learning and professionals development in Africa, both in current and future markets.
- Lead development and implementation of the company’s marketing strategy, with a focus on sales support and lead generation.
- Identify, establish and manage new strategic partnerships to expand the company’s reach.
- Liaise with product (content and technology) teams to ensure products respond to market demands.
- Manage sales and marketing budgets, in liaison with senior leadership team.
- Identify staff requirements and manage hiring process within sales and marketing teams as we grow into new markets.
Skills & Attributes
- Proven ability to scale up products and services in an African or emerging market environment.
- Outstanding commercial savvy and negotiation skills, with an eye for opportunity and a knack for closing a deal.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to execute methodically.
- Proven success designing and implementing entrepreneurial growth strategies for new products, brands or services.
- Enthusiasm and commitment for the company’s vision of transformation through skills development.
- Excellent networker with a strong existing network across Africa.
- Critical thinking and data analysis- Demonstrated ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases. Work with other business partners to perform deep data driven analysis of businesses; convert recommendations into market strategies.
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team, motivate staff, manage performance and drive delivery. Ability to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative cross-border leadership team.
- An unwavering commitment to the business’ values of excellence, innovation, accountability, integrity and caring.
- Willingness to engage in robust debate alongside deep respect for others.
- Willingness to put aside ego for the benefit of the vision and the team.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience with at least some of that in marketing, sales and/or business development, and at least 5 years at a senior level with strategic influence (essential).
- Experience working in a leadership role in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential).
- Experience leading commercial strategies for new products or new brands (essential).
- Experience working at a senior level in Africa or another emerging market (essential). International experience preferred.
- Experience in edTech, management education, corporate training or enterprise development sector (preferred).
- Experience working with a social business or enterprise (preferred).
- Master’s degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience.