8 months ago
Our client is an award-winning, exclusive tour company that specializes in delivering tailor-made wildlife safaris and community-based eco-tourism across East Africa. Having been in operation for over 25 years, the company has experienced and passionate safari consultants based in Kenya, UK, USA, Australia and India. They also own and operate nine exclusive, eco-friendly tented camps situated in various private wilderness reserves across Kenya.
The company is committed to helping preserve Africa's unique wildlife, landscape and local communities. They believe that they best way to do this is through sustainable eco-tourism ventures that benefit the local communities and provide guests with incredible experiences. 75% of their staff are hired from local communities, and they currently run four wildlife conservancies, with further plans to expand their presence in East Africa as well as their conservancy efforts.
To support their growth plans and impact, our client is looking for an experienced, dynamic and passionate CFO. The CFO will be accountable for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of the company, to include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
The CFO reports directly to the CEO and the board on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and the securing of new funding. The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader. The goal is to protect the company’s revenues and profits to achieve full financial control and sustainable growth.
- As a true business partner to the CEO and Executive Leadership Team (GMs, HODs, HRM) assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the company’s long-term strategy.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO/Executive team and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Engage the CEO and board on financial issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
- Risk assessment and recommendations to mitigate or take advantage of them.
- Assist in establishing yearly objectives, meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, bankers and investors).
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the company’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers potential expansion plans including in other countries, and collaborations with external organizations.
2. Executive Management
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team.
- Participate in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives, operating model and operational execution.
3. Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; monthly profit and loss forecast (vs. budget); cash flow analysis and forecasts and daily sales reports (vs. budget).
- Complete analysis of financial results and develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., opening new operations, asset acquisition, new revenue stream launches).
- Develop and maintain capital budget.
- Assist in the development of financial planning and analysis exercises/reports.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
- Formulate and establish accounting policies and procedures and monitor compliance of the same.
- Oversee the procurement function of the company.
5. Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Develop 5- year financial business plans and forecasts.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, investors, auditors, public officials, etc.
6. Accounting and Administration
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and function; supervise company finance staff.
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
- Ensure timely and effective management and payments of leases to community landowners.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for board of directors; oversee the preparation and communication of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
7. Team Management
- Mentor and develop a direct team, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
8. Accounting Activities
- Oversee preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Develop and manage accounting staff.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Oversee importation and clearance at the customs authority.
9. Cash Management
- Oversee weekly cash management; approve weekly payables; execute check signing.
- Oversee AR management and provide support to collections activities.
- Experience in treasury management.
10. Insurance/ Real Estate/ Legal Affairs/ IT
- Manage the company’s insurance program.
- Manage the company’s real estate affairs consisting of leases and sub-leases with various landlords including community landowners.
- Manage the company’s legal affairs where necessary.
- Set up and oversee the company’s finance IT system.
11. Not for Profit Trust
- Oversee the administration and financial aspects of the company’s not for profit Trust.
Qualifications, Experience, and Competencies
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce; and an ACCA/CPA.
- MBA would be a plus.
- Kenyan citizen.
- At least 3 years experience as CFO or equivalent.
- Experience working with and managing finance and accounting software packages.
- Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
- Experience in a senior financial-management role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution. Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time frames and simultaneously manage several tasks and projects.