5 months ago
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that makes hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban slums for everyone, forever. Their systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: they build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality toilets as small businesses in urban slums. They provide critical support services – such as access to finance, training, marketing and business analytics. They collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. They convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and protein for animal feed. Finally, they sell the byproducts to Kenyan farms. Since November 2011, they have launched over 3,000 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of 1,500 micro-entrepreneurs serving 120,000 people daily. They have safely removed over 20,000 tonnes of waste from polluting the environment and destroying community health and converted it into high-quality fertilizer.
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting to and partnering with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will play a critical role in developing and implementing the international strategy for Sanergy’s hybrid organization. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFO will be an advisor to the Country Leadership Teams, evaluating and assisting them with their financial plans and economic modeling. S/he will be responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with the board of directors and the finance, audit, and investment committees of the board.
Specific responsibilities include:
Strategy and Planning
- As a true business partner to the CEO and Country Leadership Teams, the CFO assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the organization’s long-term strategy. Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and Board of Directors and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Engage the board finance, audit, and investment committees around issues, trends, and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery. Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with Sanergy’s strategic plan, especially as the organization considers a multitude of funding sources from grants to investments and collaborations with external organizations.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the senior management team.
- Ensure adequate financing to accommodate growth plans by overseeing cash flow planning and assisting in planning and executing future financing rounds.
- Represent the company to financial partners, including financial institutions, funders, auditors, public officials, etc.
Financial and Operational Management
- Oversee financial and management reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate jurisdictional Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, regulatory requirements, and audit requirements.
- Enhance managerial financial systems to ensure senior and operational management has the information needed to effectively prioritize and manage operational processes.
- Improve and maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Oversee timely and accurate completion of all regulatory, statutory and tax filings worldwide.
- Partner with the head of Information Technology (IT) to procure and leverage specialized finance IT systems that meet the needs of the organization and ensure the systems effectively track costs and allocate and forecast budgeted and actual costs. Continually evaluates opportunities to enhance the project management activities of the company.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs. Optimize banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance treasury function.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
- Develops and implements strategies related to treasury and tax issues including financing, banking, cash management, hedging strategies and tax planning.
- Mentor and develop all of the country level finance managers and staff; managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
- Encourages the development and continuous improvement of all finance, accounting and related administrative functions.
- Guide larger, cross-divisional teams across the organization in financial management.
The CFO will be a seasoned and mature leader with 10 years of broad finance experience, with a strong foundation in accounting, and experience gathering and analyzing financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership. S/he will have experience managing the finance function (accounting, budgeting, controls, and reporting) within a diverse, division-based entity.
The CFO will have the following experience and attributes:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree; MBA preferred;
- A CPA or similar designation
- Demonstrable passion for Sanergy’s mission; a hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the CEO of a multi-divisional organization.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- Experience with grants management and or grant reporting a plus.
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- A collaborative and flexible style, with a strong service mentality.
- Creativity, with experience funding activities in ways that both cover costs and generate operating margins.