Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
about 2 years ago
AIM Group is a team of multidisciplinary visionaries striving to find ways of using technology to answer complex consumer and business needs. Founded in 2009, in Tanzania, their initial focus on physical deployments of digital technology (i.e. Touchscreen Kiosks, Interactive Projections, etc.) was a way to provide utility to consumers at retail outlets while also providing an alternative channel for advertisers. In 2011 they pivoted to focus on providing a suite of Digital Marketing services and have steadily grown their portfolio and capacity in this space.
Towards the end of 2013 they had a in-house team of 30 staff with capabilities in Social Media Strategy and Engagement, Marketing Strategy, Graphic Design, Content Marketing, Video Production and Photography, Media Planning and Buying, Web and App Development and a client portfolio of over 18 clients in multiple verticals with a high representation of blue-chip and multinational brands. The company has experienced tremendous growth over the last few years, currently being the largest digital agency in Tanzania and employing up to 140 full-time staff.
AIM Group is comprised of two Business Units and a company subsidiary;
- The Projects Business Unit focuses on R&D and Product/Service Development. The Projects BU is a result of AIM Group absorbing their sister company E-Fulusi Africa which developed the first Mobile Banking Platform and Switch in East Africa and was also instrumental in the crafting of the regulatory framework for Mobile Financial Services in Tanzania and Kenya.
- The Agency Business Unit focuses on Integrated Marketing Solutions from a Digital perspective.
- The subsidiary EF12 established in September of 2017 focuses on back-office services in Data validation, contact support, outbound calls, social care and telephonic support.
AIM Group is undergoing an organizational re-structuring to allow for more focused delivery of diversified services and create more efficiency in doing so. This organizational restructure broadens their SBU structure so as to better manage their areas of work, unlock more value from their senior executives, centralize key shared roles and ideally ensure these specific focus areas are aligned with the overall company objectives.
Initial thinking around this SBU structure is to broaden this from two to eight to focus on specialized areas, driving their own independent budgets and targets. What will be essential with this restructuring is i) How to define SBU planning, ii) Highlighting the right talent to lead these SBUs, iii) Ensuring the new structure leads to resource optimization rather than bloat, iv) Aligning SBUs strategies to corporate strategy v) Developing an effective and efficient process for managing pooled resources and vi) Implementing this change in a managed, efficient and sustainable way.
AIM Group is seeking a COO to strategically align the operations of their businesses. This person will be based in Tanzania and will be the custodian of their corporate strategy and ensure alignment to it across their Business Units and Operations. It is expected that this individual will help to develop frameworks for more effective strategic planning.
At its heart AIM Group is first-generation family business founded by siblings and close family friends. Due to this background they have a strong focus on entrepreneurial thinking, excellence and ambition. They feel that an effective and experienced COO would allow them to formalize, better articulate and translate their vision in operational practice to further unlock growth potential while also ensuring long-term sustainability and continuity of their business.
The COO will be taking the company through an organizational change while limiting disruption to delivery on current business. Initial requirements of the COO will be:
- Validating organizational restructure ?
- Managing SBU planning process ?
- Aligning SBU strategies to overall corporate strategy ?
- Developing a process to manage pooled resources ?
- Implementation of organizational restructure
- Direct management and oversight of HR, Admin functions in the business. ?
- Practice Leads will report into COO against SBU strategies ?
- Shared/Pooled resources will be managed by Project Management team under the ?office of the COO ?
- Develop and formalize HR and Admin process in line with aspirational values. ?
- Drive strategic planning across SBUs with Practice Leads ?
- Help formalize Corporate level planning and implement framework of multi-level planning?
- Develop and report on critical metrics as related to SBU strategies, short-term and ?long-term targets ?
- Work with Executive team to formalize and articulate core values in a non-BS way ?
- Develop and drive brand/positioning driven initiatives as they apply at SBU and Corporate level ?
- Refine company organogram ?
- Develop and be the custodian of employee performance management, satisfaction, retention, growth management and incentive planning alongside HR and Finance ?functions where applicable ?
- Manage and support internal capacity development to drive domain excellence ?
- Consolidate all HR/Admin reporting into standardized business health tracker
- Support the CFO and internal stakeholders in forecasting growth through analyzing ?market landscape, regulatory risk, demographic driver, political stability, regulation ?and competition ?
- As the business expands into other territories, country leads will report into the COO ?
- Developing a set of critical measurements around service-delivery, cost of doing ?business, customer-satisfaction and competitor analyses. ?
- Ability to conduct feasibility studies and executive reporting on investment ?opportunities ?
- Maintaining relationships with clients, suppliers, associations, boards or any other stakeholder involved in service delivery. ?
- Develop and maintain an active NPS system for managing customer satisfaction ?
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; an MBA is preferred
- Previous experience in a senior management/operational role within a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Specialized skill and experience as well as a multi-disciplined background and the agility to adapt to changing needs.
- Strong entrepreneurial streak, is innovative and has experience building in new markets.
- Ability to fit into a dynamic environment and add value to it.
- Ability to share the company’s vision of exponential growth and adding material value to the industries they work in.
- Experience working in media or tech-driven businesses is preferred.
- Should be willing to commit to the business for a minimum of 5 years.