Fenix International is a next-generation energy and technology company. Their mission is to improve the quality of life of their customers through inclusive energy and financial services. Their flagship product, Fenix Power, is a modular, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments from just $0.11 per day. They use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans, unlocking modern financial services for their customers. To date, Fenix has sold over 500,000 Solar Home Systems in Uganda, Zambia, Cote d'Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria and Mozambique, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 2,500,000 people.
In early 2018, Fenix joined forces with ENGIE, one of the world's largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. This has allowed Fenix to make significant commercial investments, accelerating the path to their mission, via new market expansion and innovative product development. Together, Fenix and ENGIE are making universal access to modern energy a reality.
This is an incredible opportunity for a highly motivated, talented, and inspirational operations leader to join their C-suite and be based in Kampala, Uganda to support their exceptional, high performing team that is passionate about improving the quality of life for off-grid customers at the base of the pyramid. Key responsibilities will include overseeing strategic manufacturing, supply chain, health, safety, and ethics, and African Operations leadership.
- Demonstrated, genuine passion for and commitment to Fenix’s mission, values, customer, team and culture.
- Serve on the Fenix C-Suite Team and drive to achieve Fenix’s mission and values.
Lead Fenix Supply Chain Management
- Develop strategy and guide investments for the end-to-end supply chain for the business (from China to Africa, and in coordination with R&D teams)
- Oversee the distribution of product from China to active markets by leading teams in various locations.
- With the Global Ordering and Forecasting Manager, oversee the forecasting for sellable inventory as well as service parts for all Fenix markets, review inventory levels and work with country teams to develop inventory best practices, monthly forecasts and optimize dollar spend.
- Utilize sales and supply data, making strategic decisions that balance competing inventory needs with cash flow.
Motivate and Lead the Global Operations Team
- Provide exceptional, inspirational leadership and support to the supply chain team.
- Represent Fenix in external stakeholder meetings.
- Inspire the team to take ownership of their work.
- Oversee the development and success of cross-functional teams that can meet shifts in market demand.
- Proven ability to motivate, develop and lead technical teams through periods of aggressive growth and through difficult business environments.
- Ability to create unique employee performance incentives for the Operations team to achieve goals, such as HSSE, supply chain management, etc.
- Support the policy team in formulating strategy around lobbying and influencing key stakeholders in the Fenix markets on favourable import policies such as taxes, duties, exemptions and other needle moving proposals.
- Lead Senior Directors in different locations responsible for supply chain management.
- Develop the Operations strategy in line with Fenix mission and goals.
- Oversee the business intelligence team ensuring timely and accurate performance management, knowledge & best practice sharing and dissemination.
- Oversee the Global Quality Assurance team, ensuring efficient and cost effective quality control mechanisms in China and operating countries to meet or exceed product failure rate targets and other business KPIs.
- Responsible for P&L and growth plans and execution for global operations.
- Oversee team budget, allocate resources and approve spend for the global operations department.
- Track team goals and performance to ensure meeting of targets.
- Lead teams in evaluating and sharing business best practices across Fenix global operations while providing cost savings, maximizing efficiency, and ensuring quality.
- Support the team in dealing with legislative or other government committees regarding operational policies, tax policies, programs, or budgets.
Build systems and processes
- Oversee best practice research and implementation in Fenix Operations
- Lead the Operations team to define protocols for how to optimize the supply chain process at Fenix.
- Ensure usage of data from various departments to improve processes and systems.
- Oversee and support the HSSE Manager in the development of Fenix HSSE standards and principles in line with ENGIE requirements. Support the HSSE Manager in coordination with ENGIE on HSSE initiatives and proposals.
- Collaborate with global Operational Finance team to implement and manage robust inventory and financial management systems, including but not limited to, SAP, FenixDB, etc.
Required Skills & Experience
- Relevant advanced degree or diploma
- 10+ years of supply chain management experience preferably at a multi-national company operating in multiple markets
- Work experience in a multinational or vertically integrated company, preferably with operations in Africa and China
- Strong negotiation skills, preferably in multicultural contexts
- Significant leadership and management experience in supply chain management
- Experience in the manufacturing and distribution of parts, goods and products
- Ability to manage a multicultural team of supply chain, operations and manufacturing staff
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Strong data analysis skills preferred, proficient usage of MS Excel is required
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative nature
- Attention to detail, strategic thinker
- A passion for Fenix and their customers!
Desired Skills & Experience
- Masters degree
- Familiarity with Six Sigma concepts related to hardware
- Knowledge of China manufacturing is an added advantage
- Last mile distribution experience would be preferred
- French and Mandarin language skills