about 1 year ago
Established in 1992, the Finch Hattons camp was refurbished in 2015 and has earned an outstanding reputation for luxury and service, both locally and internationally. Voted Kenya’s & Africa’s Leading Safari Lodge in 2015, Finch Hattons attracts a high-end clientele who come to Kenya for the experience but would like the glamorous colonial lifestyle. It is owned by Future Hotels Limited, part of The Intex Real Estate Group, who recently partnered with Sir Richard Branson and Virgin Limited Edition to launch Mahali Mzuri, a luxury safari camp located in the Maasai Mara’s Olare Motorogi Conservancy.
The Chief Operations Officer accountable for managing the direction and strategy of the commercial efforts of Finch Hattons Luxury Camp, which will include:
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures for the various functions required at the head office level of the camp and at camp.
- Positioning of the brand and the generation of all revenues consistent with the company objectives
- Leading the team at the head office and liaising with the team at the camp, including the Camp GM to ensure the key goals of the Camp are achieved
- Review of current operations and implementing further efficiencies across all departments.
- Maximising efficiencies between the properties in the Future Hotels portfolio.
In addition to the above key responsibilities, additional responsibilities will include:
- Oversight of the financial performance of the camp, including relevant reporting of the same to the Board of Directors
- Oversight of the operational aspects of the camp, including liaising with the camp and operations manager to ensure smooth flow of operations
- Formalising Finch Hattons travel desk and managing the travel desk staff member.
- Looking at opportunities to create
- Preparing the standard operating procedures for the various head office functions of the camp, including the directing, managing and coordination of the implementation of the same.
- Provide leadership – directing, managing and coordinating the efforts of the team at head office and camp.
- Proactive approach to the role, including monthly updates
- Inventory and yield management are key areas of responsibility for this position; the role will include guiding the team on issues concerning pricing, branding, and product enhancements for certain market segments.
- Review of guest experience and ensuring competitiveness and uniqueness in the market.
- Implementing CSR projects at Iltilal with the help of Intex Foundation.
- Recruit and provides appropriate support to new employees to ensure their ultimate success.
- Develop and motivate staff, consistent with the camp needs through implementation of approved personnel programs and execution of succession planning.
- Conduct team performance appraisals; monthly and quarterly in line with company approved policies & procedures;
- Ensure superior sales service delivery to all customers.
- Achieves budgeted room night quotas and average rates set out in the yearly business plan for the camp.
- Provide guidance in preparation of monthly reports, backlog, tracking of account room nights in the group, tour and leisure market segments, and guides the development of customer action plans.
- Coordinate the camp’s participation in local and international campaigns.
- Knowledgeable about the competitive set and will be on top of market share statistics to maintain the camp’s competitive edge.
- Efficiently manages the Camp operational budget.
- Creating framework to educate and enable more wildlife stories / hospitality stories from camp to be used for digital marketing especially social media.
- Review of F&B offering at camp. Modernise overall offering.
- Liaison with contracted third parties such as PR Company and also specialist activity companies.
- Perform related duties and special projects that may be assigned from time to time.
- 8 to 10 years of luxury hospitality experience, at least 5 of which have been managing sales personnel and leading sales and marketing activities.
- Formal University / College education, preference given to those with a sales & marketing related degree with a focus on the hospitality / travel & tourism space.
- Proven organizational and communication skills – Micros Fidelio literacy an asset, along with working knowledge of MS Office suite of programs.
- Understanding and prior experience of working in the African luxury safari market.
- Understanding of the local & international markets, along with strong trade networks in the local & international markets are essential.
- Ability to prioritize, organize work assignments and follow up.
- Ability to execute a multitude of tasks on a timely basis.
- Ability to promote positive relationships with guests and staff.
- Ability to ensure security and confidentiality of guests and hotel data.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision as well as cohesively in a team.
- Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems with good judgment.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English essential, desired for Swahili and other languages; ability to interface confidently with high profile customers and media.