7 months ago
Fenix International is a next-generation energy and technology company. Their mission is to improve the quality of life of their customers through inclusive energy and financial services. Their flagship product, Fenix Power, is a modular, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments from just $0.11 per day. They use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans, unlocking modern financial services for their customers. To date, Fenix has sold over 500,000 Solar Home Systems in Uganda, Zambia, Cote d'Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria and Mozambique, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 2,500,000 people.
In early 2018, Fenix joined forces with ENGIE, one of the world's largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. This has allowed Fenix to make significant commercial investments, accelerating the path to their mission, via new market expansion and innovative product development. Together, Fenix and ENGIE are making universal access to modern energy a reality.
Fenix is looking for a Chief People Officer (CPO) to lead their HR function across multiple countries in Africa. The CPO will join the C-Team as a visionary leader with the ability to lead on strategy, budget, organizational design, culture and talent. The individual will also be responsible for compliance, senior HR support, team management and other areas that will drive the development and positive engagement of employees. The staff consist of people from various cultures and cut across all ages, so the CPO must be able to relate to and motivate people from a very wide variety of backgrounds.
Fenix is looking to fill one of the most important leadership roles in their highly people-driven business. The right candidate operates with the fierce conviction that Talent is a powerful and strategic lever in helping world-changing teams and businesses thrive. The right individual will simultaneously grasp the strategic ‘big picture’ of a scaling commercial operation while mentoring a team to execute on the details to help achieve this vision. You bring deep Talent and HR experience in a mission-driven, nimble, and ambitious company that has operated in multiple emerging markets to successfully achieve scale. You are hungry to try new approaches that position the organization as a talent leader not just in East Africa but globally.
o Vision and Strategy: Help create the broader organizational vision as part of the CTeam. Ensure that the team is at the center of our strategy, budget, and goals and that we are constantly living up to our value to invest in a high-performing, passionate team that loves what they do.
o Budget and Goals: Together with the Talent and HR teams, develop the budget and goals that the company will need to realize the vision and strategy above.
o Team: Provide leadership and coaching for the Talent and HR teams.
o External thought leadership: Champion the organization as one of the most innovative and forward-thinking companies in talent in the sector and region.
· Senior-level direct HR support: Support the C-Team, Global Team, and Country Teams with strategic Talent and HR issues and opportunities, including leading the charge on addressing difficult Talent/HR issues with senior leadership at the organization.
· Broad Organizational Design: The CPO will lead organizational design for the organization, will support Country Teams on strategic org design questions and will own the process of clarifying and iterating on global and country ownership questions across the organization.
· Culture and team engagement: Outline and communicate the vision for culture at the organization, and convene and lead all talent leaders (including C-team, MDs, and Talent leads across markets) to ensure that our culture is living, breathing, and constantly resonant with our exceptional and diverse team.
o Healthy culture nurturing: Create and execute a strategy to continuously nurture a healthy culture, including running
§ Our annual team engagement survey and other pulse checks and acting or supporting key stakeholders to act on the resulting data and
§ Programs to facilitate meaningful connections across the organization that keep our team engaged, inclusive, and high performing.
· Talent: Support the global Talent team in developing and executing strategy in the following areas:
o Talent Acquisition: Apply best practices and execute seamless systems to continue hiring exceptional and diverse talent, with efficiency, high quality, and a positive candidate experience.
o Talent Development: Create and execute a strategy to deliver professional development and growth opportunities across all of the organization’s employee types, including performance management strategy, learning and development programming, career pathing, succession planning for key leadership roles, and leadership coaching programming.
o HR: Support the global HR team in developing and executing strategy in the following areas:
o Compensation and Benefits Strategy:
§ Job grading and salary structure: continue iterating on our job grading framework and the accompanying salary structure to ensure that our compensation strategy is inclusive, values-driven, and business enabling.
§ Unique employee incentive program: In particular, design, lead negotiation, and oversee the execution of the organization’s Flames 3.0 with leadership
§ Benefits administration: execute on our benefits program and continuously iterate on our core offerings to ensure our package is attractive and inclusive.
o Compliance, Policies, and Processes: Ensure that our internal policies that support our people-forward approach are fully compliant with labor law across our different geographies, while building systems and processes to make all of our HR functions nimble and efficient
o Employee Relations: Iterate and improve channels of communication for staff to escalate issues and ensure an incredible team experience for all employees
o Onboarding and Offboarding: Iterate and improve onboarding and offboarding experiences that set employees up for success as they join the organization, create a strong alumni community of former employees as they leave, and support managers to handle difficult exits where necessary while staying compliant with labor law.
Required Skills & Experience
- Relevant diploma or degree.
- 10+ years working experience in Talent management and development.
- An understanding of multinational companies or vertically integrated institutions operating in multiple markets.
- Successful experience as Talent Director or similar role.
- Knowledge of talent systems and software, for example, performance management systems, applicant tracking systems, etc.
- Experience designing and implementing employee training programs.
- Knowledge of labor legislation and ensuring adherence.
- Experience in at least one country in Africa or similar market with BOP customers.
- Significant leadership and management experience with multicultural teams.
- Ability to manage a multicultural team in Africa, Europe, US, and China.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills (English), French/Mandarin a plus.
- Great attention to detail, strategic thinker and dedicated problem solver.
- Excitement about the organization’s mission and a deep desire to make an impact on off-grid and financially underserved customers in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Commitment to live and work with the organization in East Africa for at least 3 years.
- Leadership and project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to a particular project, team, or new company and we especially value candidates who have seen projects through from start to finish, from design to scale up phase.