d.light is a global social enterprise aiming to improve the lives of the two billion people in the developing world that live without access to reliable energy. They provide distributed, affordable solar energy solutions for households and small businesses that are transforming the way people all over the world use and pay for energy.
d.light innovations have led and shaped the market since 2007 when it introduced what was then the world’s most reliable, affordable solar light. Their market development was akin to the early stages of the mobile phone industry where the rapidly growing, consumer-driven adaption of the latest global technology rose above less functional and more costly utility-based alternatives. With an expanding product range currently distributed in over 10,000 retail outlets in over 60 countries to over 50 million customers, the company is manifesting its vision for the future of energy in the developing world.
d.light believes the most successful energy supply solutions in the developing world will be distributed and renewable. Demand for reliable, affordable power is growing exponentially with rising consumer incomes. Centralized grid distribution systems are too costly for governments, too risky for private investors, and too slow to meet demand whilst broad adoption of fossil fuel solutions represents a potential climate catastrophe. Rapid technology improvement is enabling higher performance, lower cost solutions than ever before. Enterprises that can respond to these realities with the right combination of product, distribution and marketing stand a very good chance of becoming large, profitable, and durable businesses, while making a material impact on one of the world’s largest and most intractable obstacles to sustainable development.
The job holder will be responsible for developing, implementing, and continuously improving on the d.light Africa services strategy to improve business value and enhanced significant experiences to their customers. This role will be based in Nairobi, with frequent international travel, approximately 30% of the time.
The Director Customer Experience Africa will report to the Managing Director Africa.
- Oversee the end to end contact center engagements (scope design, partner sourcing/onboarding and operational management of call center operations) to attain d.light defined standards within Africa vertically integrated markets.
- Oversee the end to end Africa after sales strategy execution (define strategy & scope, warranty management, after sales center framework, 3rd party vendor contracting /management and spares forecasting & budgeting) within Africa Vertically Integrated Markets.
- Oversee the end to end quality management initiatives for Africa (Define assessment frameworks and feedback on quality standards for d.light products to key business stakeholders).
- Champion the “Voice of the Customer “ Initiative – project manage the proactive initiatives aimed at sharing customer feedback/insights, customer experience and improvement activities.
- Lead & create a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality team members.
Key Performance Indicators
- Positive growth of Africa Net Promoter Score;
- Positive improvements in Customer Turn Around Time (TAT) and Efficiency Scores for Service Centers.
- Reduction of Delinquency related Dollar costs associated with Warranty Related management.
- Contact Center Metrics to be within accepted best practice standards (call abandonment rate to be at 5%, Average Handling Time, budget management (agent – cost rations to be within best practice benchmarks), call reduction initiatives (reduce calls to Contact Center).
- Customer Experience Project Execution (projects are delivered within signed off time/scope/cost).
Skills and Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree in sales & marketing. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- Minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in customer experience with a proven record of developing customer facing strategies which drive customer satisfaction, after sales management and revenue contribution within different geographies in Africa.
- Experience in working with senior teams to develop & execute the customer experience strategy of a mid-size or large corporate with operations at different geographies.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand business goals and recommend new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in business objectives and productivity (utilization).
- Strong mindset for continuous improvement and meeting or exceeding expectations and ability to demonstrate complete discretion and confidentiality.
- Experience leading in a fast-paced environment (preferably in a sales organization or high-tech organization), partnering with senior business leaders.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on tact and diplomacy.
- Business driven, people focused, with exceptional influencing skills; excellent organizational, multi-tasking, presentation and time-management skills.
- Passion for social enterprise, development of people and environmental benefits.