3 months ago
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that develops bold sanitation and waste management solutions that are affordable and sustainable for growing cities. Their systems-based approach has four key steps: They build a dense network of franchised sanitation facilities. They collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community; they also collect organic solid waste from markets, farms, and commercial businesses, including hotels and restaurants. They convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and protein for animal feed. Finally, they sell the byproducts to Kenyan farms. Since November 2011, Sanergy have launched over 3,000 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of 1,500 micro-entrepreneurs serving 120,000 people daily. They have safely removed over 20,000 tonnes of waste from polluting the environment and destroying community health and converted it into high-quality agricultural inputs.
Role and Responsibilities
The Director of Government Affairs & Policy will be responsible for developing policy frameworks and working with governments at local and national levels to advocate for favorable government policies, regulations, and standards to support Sanergy’s business and customer interests. The position is based in Kenya and the portfolio includes Kenya, East Africa, and global sector and policy engagements. The initial primary focus will be on structuring and securing a public-private partnership for expansion throughout Nairobi.
The Director builds relationships with government officials to keep them informed about Sanergy’s work, ensures compliance with all laws related to their field work, and advocates for policies and regulations that create opportunities to better fulfill their mission. The Director will work in close collaboration with national managing directors to support relationships with bilateral and international institutions, sector associations, NGOs, relevant government officials and influencers. This role will report to the Co-Founder and will work cross-functionally with all Sanergy departments and country subsidiaries.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create and execute the Sanergy global Government Affairs & Policy strategy to achieve Sanergy’s long-term vision and near-term goals.
- Provide exceptional guidance and support to Sanergy’s Directors across Africa in collaboration with the co-founders.
- Build and lead a high performing, dynamic global Government Affairs & Policy Team.
- Serve on the Sanergy Leadership Team and drive to achieve Sanergy’s mission and values.
Partnerships Strategy and Execution
- Develop strategy to secure long-term partnerships with municipalities.
- With leadership, develop relationships with financiers for partnerships.
- Secure contracts and successfully navigate public-private partnerships with governments and utilities.
- Manage relationships with relevant contracting entities.
Policy Strategy and Execution
- Develop and execute policy strategy to ensure government policies support Sanergy’s interests in sanitation, waste management & reuse, agriculture inputs, import tariffs, employment and labor law, and necessary compliance approvals for the company's products, team, and services.
- Analyze policy framework in mature and high priority new markets and proactively identity key policy risks and opportunities and support country leadership to respond accordingly.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key government officials in Africa, key industry associations, and bilateral and international institutions that conduct advocacy with governments to advance Sanergy’s growth objectives and establish policies to promote profitable growth and minimize adverse actions.
- Represent Sanergy with politicians, policy makers, and international institutions, and communicate Sanergy’s positions on key policy issues in appropriate forums.
- Support the drafting of papers and articles for media and public relations purposes.
The Government Affairs & Policy Director will have the following experience and attributes:
- Demonstrated passion for the Sanergy mission, values and customers.
- 7+ years of government affairs experience, including relationship management, crisis management, public-private partnerships, new policy formulation and advocacy, preferably in Africa, working with governments on behalf of companies or non-profits.
- Ability to identify & analyze policy and the implications it has on Sanergy’s business.
- Ability to create policy strategy (offense and defense) and drive results through exceptional execution and relationship-building skills.
- A collaborative, flexible and entrepreneurial style, with a strong service mentality and ability to thrive in fast-changing management and government environments.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multi-country teams with diverse professional development needs.
- Strong relationship management with experience in identifying and securing advocates across a number of African governments.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple country offices and departments; remote workplace experience preferred.
- Very strong critical and analytical thinking skills; ability to work with large amounts of data to develop strategy and make rigorous decisions.
- Highly organized and able to follow through and prioritize tasks.
- Proven experience as a hands-on team player, with an eagerness to learn new tools and roll up sleeves to get the job done.
- Willingness to travel frequently throughout Kenya, across Africa, and globally.
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information; required fluency in English; Swahili highly desirable; French preferred.