3 months ago
PULA are radically restructuring agricultural insurance, using technology to insure the previously unbanked, uninsured, untapped market of 1.5 billion smallholders worldwide. PULA works in eleven countries across Africa and Asia, and in 2019 alone, facilitated crop and livestock insurance cover to 1 million farmers. Their Founders’ work in agriculture insurance have been recognized by several international awards including the Financial Times/IFC Award for Sustainable Finance.
PULA works with Fortune 500 Companies, Global NGO’s, Microfinance Instructions, Research Institutions, and Governments to help provide smallholders the protection they need in an increasingly unpredictable climate. They are a high-performance, multi-cultural team that is fast-paced and constantly adapting to new opportunities and challenges.
Become an early team member of a VC backed technology company? that has provided insurance and agronomy solutions to over 800,000 smallholder farmers across 8 countries in 2018.
Change the story of farming in Africa. PULA was the first to deliver agriculture insurance in many of the countries they work in, and have given farmers confidence, professionalism and pride. This is a chance to be part of that story.
PULA pride themselves in operational excellence, both in terms of growth, technology as well as in their field operations and interactions with farmers. You will be part of an exceptional and award-winning team that will help you raise the bar and deliver what has never been done before.
PULA are looking to recruit an experienced and dynamic Director of Insurance to help create effective and efficient risk transfer delivery mechanisms for farmers. This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and report to the Co-Founder and Chief Actuary.
- Manage the actuarial team with regards to pricing, product development, claims management and any other analytics and insurance work.
- Manage the insurance related operations.
- Put in place efficiency mechanisms, which include automating the key processes used by the actuarial and insurance teams.
- Manage the external relationships on the insurance and reinsurance side.
- Develop longer-term strategic initiatives on the insurance and risk transfer side.
Objectives and Key Results
- Create or deploy a system/combination of systems to efficiently and effectively enable collaboration of the team, regardless of location.
- Promote a good working relationship with colleagues that ensure that even when remote working is expected, there is no discernible negative impact on achieving team objectives.
- Complete a workflow of the most important processes, including automating as much as possible.
- Deliver outputs within stipulated turnaround times
- As a member of the senior management team, build and maintain essential internal and external stakeholder relationships to enable the success of Pula.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified Actuary with membership in a recognized actuarial body.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university; Master’s degree will be an added advantage
- At least 10 years of work experience with 5 years in a managerial role.
- Reinsurance management experience, with proven track record of managing and closing reinsurance arrangements preferred.
- 3 - 5 years of work experience in Agriculture Insurance industry in Africa, Asia or Latin America preferred (ideally with experience in index/parametric insurance).
- Strategic thinker with ability to create and conceptualize business needs in a fast-changing environment.
- Results oriented with the drive to influence and mentor others.
- Sound analytical, presentation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good problem-solving abilities combined with strong decision-making skills.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and work within deadlines.