over 1 year ago
The African Management Initiative (AMI) is a Pan-African social enterprise that empowers African managers and entrepreneurs through practical and accessible learning and development tools. AMI combines a cutting-edge web and mobile learning platform with content from Africa's most prestigious business schools and an innovative peer accountability system to deliver real results for individuals and organizations.
African Management Initiative is expanding rapidly. They have successfully raised investment, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and reached over 25,000 individuals in over 25 countries in Africa. AMI is now looking for a Director of Marketing & Sales to position AMI as the leading brand in workplace learning across the continent and build/implement strategies to drive inbound lead generation in multiple markets.
The Director of Marketing & Sales will be based at AMI’s office in Nairobi and will work with the leadership team as well as local teams in Nairobi, Johannesburg and Lagos. This is a senior and strategic position for someone with extensive experience in business-to-business and multi-stakeholder marketing and business development, and a willingness to get stuck into a fast-moving entrepreneurial business. It’s a chance for a strategic and commercial leader with a passion for unlocking Africa’s potential to contribute to the continent’s transformation. This position reports into the CEO.
The Director of Marketing & Sales must be a creative, driven, organized, tech-savvy professional with superlative writing and design abilities. S/he must have a vision for how to support a fast-growing enterprise sales structure, and clear ideas and experience in inbound lead generation.
The main focus of the role is brand-building, sales support and lead generation. There is also the potential for involvement in looking at new markets and development of business development strategy, structure and processes, depending on the candidate’s experience and interests.
- Lead development and implementation of the company’s marketing strategy, with a focus on sales support and lead generation.
- Oversee marketing activities across regions, working with local general managers.
- Lead & manage brand-building and lead generation campaigns across platforms to support local sales strategies.
- Develop and manage a calendar of events, research and thought leadership to reflect and build on AMI’s position as a leading expert in learning and development in Africa; support local teams with implementation.
- Create & maintain all marketing materials, including company & product brochures, website front pages, presentation templates, reports and other collateral, with the support of a marketing fellow.
- Develop and update their library of white papers, client case studies and testimonials, including text/images and video.
- Manage and expand AMI’s content marketing & digital presence to generate inbound inquiries (blog, newsletter, social media), and ensure website is fully optimized, with support of a marketing fellow.
- Manage PR across regions, working with local agencies where relevant – write press releases, feature articles, columns and other articles.
- Provide support to business development team on proposals, documentation, presentations etc.
- Manage AMI’s brand and messaging, ensuring consistency across offices.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to think strategically and creatively but execute methodically – eye on the big picture but unflinching attention to detail.
- Exceptional writing and design skills – must write copy that sings and has a real eye for design.
- Deep understanding of B2B marketing, enterprise sales and communications in an African context.
- Ability to identify and understand different customer segments and craft appropriate messaging.
- Great verbal communicator – ability to build relationships with stakeholders at an executive level and to represent AMI publicly.
- Strong Project Management and organizational skills.
- A commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability.
- Willingness to engage in robust debate while maintaining deep respect for others.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity.
Qualification & Experience
- Minimum of 7 years experience in strategic marketing, business development or communications, with at least 3 years in B2B , OR minimum 7 years in a professional services role that includes a business development and/or marketing component (essential).
- Experience working in Africa, ideally Kenya (essential).
- Experience working in entrepreneurial or high-growth environment (essential).
- Experience working with Adobe suite or equivalent, as well as social media and content management platforms (e.g. Hootsuite, Hubspot etc).
- Postgraduate degree or equivalent experience.