10 months ago
Copia Global, is bringing e-commerce to low -middle income people in the developing world, transforming this historically neglected market into empowered global consumers. It is the best of Amazon, Fedex and a healthy dose of BoP expertise. Just as the Sears catalog revolutionized life in the pioneer days of the United States, Fedex revolutionized distribution and Amazon revolutionized life in the internet age, Copia is similarly creating a whole new medium to reach low-middle income consumers.
By making accessible a wide range of trusted, reliable consumer goods - from rice to motorcycles, from mattresses to hammers, from soap to solar lights - Copia improves the quality of life for consumers at the middle and base of the economic pyramid. The advent of mobile technologies is the game changer, enabling Copia to provide a profitable, high quality service to low-income people for the first time in history.
With $5T of annual income, the peri-urban and rural populations of the developing world represent a huge untapped market opportunity. These populations remain underserved with no trusted, affordable access to reliable, basic necessities. Using mobile technologies, Copia can connect billions of people with the global economy, thereby enhancing their lives.
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2013, Copia started its operations in Kenya and is now serving 3,000 locations throughout central Kenya, generating significant monthly revenues and growing at 15% per month.
Please see www.copiaglobal.com to learn more.
Got early stage entrepreneurial energy? Ready for a muddy boots experience? Want to build the next Amazon on the new frontier? Based in Nairobi, Kenya and reporting to Copia’s CEO, the Director Procurement and Partner Relationships will be responsible for building a strategic relationship with suppliers, designing the strategy, management and coordination of the procurement & pricing activities, upholding and enhancing policy, controls, procedures, systems and reporting, together with ensuring an efficient structure to drive margin improvements and value benefits to the organization. You will be required to provide sound business leadership, with timely proactive decision making and advice that enables the business units to operate effectively and efficiently. You will additionally be responsible for building supplier and other partner relationships to monetise “Copia Gold” the unique route to market offered by Copia with unrivalled direct access to low middle income end customers in rural areas and a valuable data pool on those customer’s spending habits. In short, you will lead the company’s efforts to increase gross margin on product though both volume and value.
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director Procurement and Partner Relationships primary responsibility is to establish and operate efficient and effective Procurement Processes necessary to maximize profit margins and ensure that organization meets its delivery commitments and implement best practices.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
Strategy development and implementation
- Providing procurement oversight and strategic development of systems, staff structures and purchasing opportunities.
- Implementing procurement planning for all Copia requirements.
- Designing or implementing purchasing structures that support business strategies adapted to changing market conditions, new business opportunities, or cost reduction strategies.
- Ensuring implementation of procurement best practices for Demand & Supply Planning, Customer Service, Material Handling and Purchasing.
- Spearheading strategic relationships with suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Managing activities related to strategic or tactical purchasing, product requirements planning, and inventory control.
- Monitoring and managing the demand and supply planning processes to produce accurate demand plans to achieve customer service level targets and minimize distribution costs.
- Preparing and processing requisitions and purchase orders for supplies.
- Ensuring procurement processes are compliant with regulatory requirements.
- Ensuring optimum processing of orders and invoices.
- Managing third party and ensuring that company standards are applied.
- Participating in internal and external benchmarking in order to implement best practices.
- Carrying out inventory management.
- Implementing best practice working capital strategies.
- Optimizing working capital and ensuring fresh stock.
- Coordinating and identifying optimum residual value for disposal of obsolete holdings.
- Implementing a “Just in Time” procurement and inventory control system.
- Reviewing and implementing new or improved procurement planning processes.
- Implementing all possible improvements such as operation, communication, customer service and costs.
- Developing and monitoring budgets and approval of expenditures.
- Building value managed relationships with suppliers to maintain high service levels and achieve world-class performance with reference to quality, delivery and pricing consistency.
- Developing procedures for coordination of procurement management with other functional areas, such as sales, marketing, finance and supply chain.
- Maintaining relationships with internal staff i.e. Sales, Marketing, Customer Service & Finance Departments; and externally with manufacturers and products Suppliers.
- Locating vendors of supplies and interviewing them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Building strategic value-based relationships with suppliers capitalising on Copia’s unique route to market.
- Negotiating prices and terms with suppliers and vendors to achieve corporate product margin targets and non-trade unit cost improvements.
- Representing the company in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Liaising with the finance function to ensure proper costing of purchases and ensuring efficient processing of accounting documents for timely payment to suppliers.
- Liaising closely with department heads to plan procurement and inventory requirements.
- Building relationships and commercial arrangements with potential partners who can use Copia’s unique position in its ownership of the low middle-income consumer relationship to monetise data & report subscriptions, products tests, product launches, supplier marketing / co-branding, and generally in customer interactions and supplier relationships
- Leading and managing the team and developing them into high performing and engaged workforce, managing their performance, motivating, coaching and training them accordingly.
- Setting and reviewing objectives and conducting performance appraisals.
- Managing the necessary administrative tasks.
The Director Procurement and Partner Relationships is a high-level strategist with diverse procurement and partner relationships skills, expertise and experience in the shed, a day-to-day operational magic maker and a cross-team player. You should not only possess the strategic leadership of a business professional but the creative problem-solving abilities of an entrepreneur, and the desire to roll up your sleeves in the start-up stage of a company’s development. The ideal candidate has a track record of procurement expertise but most importantly, corporate leadership. You will provide leadership on new opportunities to grow the business and be flexible in the fast-changing environment of a start-up business in a developing country context. Specifically, the Director Procurement and Partner Relationships will have:
Education Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or equivalent.
- Logistics & distribution or MCIPS qualifications would be an added advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years Senior Management experience in Procurement or Supply Chain Management from a Retail or FMCG industry.
- Experience of ERP and stock control systems is a distinct advantage.
Technical Skills and Behavioral Attributes
- A good understanding of contract law and financial management.
- Excellent knowledge of Supply Chain Best Practices.
- Good knowledge of the business environment.
- Good product knowledge.
- A self starter with high enthusiasm and an ability to engender support and respect from a broad and diverse base of management.
- Excellent relationship management, interpersonal and team playing skills.
- Strong ability for decision making under pressure.
- Sufficient autonomy in work and self motivated.
- Analytical and hardworking.
- A good planner and organizer with a strategic vision.
- Proactive in their work and takes the initiative to propose and implement new approaches.
- Results oriented.
- Sound budget and cost control analysis skills
- Proven contract negotiation skills and high commercial acumen.
- High level of integrity.
- Confident with strong leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.