4 months ago
Copia Global is bringing eCommerce to low-middle income people in Africa, transforming this historically neglected market into empowered global consumers. It is the best of Amazon plus Fedex plus a healthy dose of BoP expertise. Just as the Sears catalog revolutionized life in the pioneer days of the United States, Fedex revolutionized distribution and Amazon revolutionized life in the internet age, Copia is similarly creating a whole new medium to reach low-middle income consumers.
By making accessible a wide range of trusted, reliable consumer goods - from rice to motorcycles, from mattresses to hammers, from soap to solar lights - Copia improves the quality of life for consumers at the middle and base of the economic pyramid. The advent of mobile technologies is the game changer, enabling Copia to provide a profitable, high quality service to low income people for the first time in history.
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2013, Copia started its operations in Kenya and is now serving 3,600 locations throughout central Kenya and growing at 60% per year, with plans to expand internationally, starting with Uganda.
Please see www.copiaglobal.com to learn more.
As a Director on the Copia Global Board of Directors, you will be responsible for the overall leadership and strategic direction of the business. You will participate in monthly phone calls, be available to the Chairman and the CEO as needed and meet in person in Nairobi for four days each October and April. You will:
- Support the CEO as needed.
- Provide input and guidance strategy and execution plans.
- Help with recruiting and selection of senior executives .
- Make connections and provide support with capital raises.
- Bring technology experience and expertise to this technology driven business.
- Provide connections and expertise to succeed in an African environment.
- African market experience and connections, ideally including East Africa.
- Deep understanding of African culture.
- Consumer technology experience, ideally including eCommerce.
- Past board level experience.
- Demonstrated ability to build fast growing businesses.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to thrive in an unstructured environment.
- Strategic planning experience.
- Ability to embrace changing market dynamics.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.