Greenlight Planet is a social, for-profit business that designs, distributes, and finances solar-powered home energy products, with an underserved population in mind: the 1.3 billion global consumers for whom the old-fashioned electrical grid is either unavailable or too expensive.
Over a decade in business, the company is now a leading global brand in emerging markets across Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. Greenlight’s Sun KingTM products provide modern light and energy to 30 million people in more than 60 countries.
From the company’s wide range of trusted Sun KingTM solar lamps and home energy systems, to its innovative distribution partnerships, to its EasyBuyTM pay-as-you-go consumer financing model, Greenlight Planet continuously strives to meet the evolving needs of the off-grid market.
Greenlight stays in touch with underserved consumers’ needs in part by operating its own direct-to- consumer sales network, including thousands of trusted sales agents in local communities. But to reach most consumers, Greenlight partners with hundreds of last-mile distribution companies, ranging from small retail wholesalers, to the world’s largest micro-finance institutions, mobile network operators, and energy companies.
Today, with over 900 full-time employees in 11 countries, they remain continuously impressed at how each new team member contributes unique and innovative solutions to the global off-grid challenge, from new product designs, to better training strategies, to more efficient logistical and after-sales service systems. They listen closely to each other to improve their products, service, and ultimately, the lives of underserved consumers.
Reporting to the Global Sales Director, this senior role is designed to drive sales and distribution strategies as well as supporting the unique combination of relevant channels in the East African market. This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
They are looking for someone who is driven, passionate and excited about the opportunity to bring honest, affordable, energy to homes in Africa and Asia.
- Establishing and managing channel partner networks for Sun King products
- Developing new business: prospecting, qualifying and closing new channel partners
- Delivery of annual revenue and unit sales targets
- Identifying key resources needed to execute the right sales and distribution strategy, including hiring and managing field sales staff, managing budgets for market activations and channel incentives to meet sales targets.
- Managing client relationships through all phases of the sales cycle
- Providing a consultative solutions-based sales process to prospects
- Conducting one-on-one and group sales and training presentations
- Managing and growing existing accounts within the territory
- Co-ordination with the head office for all technical, commercial, administrative and legal assistance.
- Has a college/university degree and at least 8-10 years of sales and business development experience in the East African region working with channel networks.
- Has experience building and executing a sales and distribution strategy for consumer durables, renewable or FMCG products.
- Has a strong entrepreneurial streak, is innovative and has experience building market relevant sales and distribution models for new brands and/or product categories
- Has a strong record of meeting revenue targets and experience growing new business lines
- Is entrepreneurial and excited about the opportunity to creatively build effective, non-traditional sales channels in a nascent product category
- Is fluent in English and Swahili, both written and spoken
- Is passionate about his/her work and driven by Greenlight’s social mission of bringing innovative, renewable energy and life-enhancing products to African markets
- Is comfortable working independently and remotely in a lean environment
- Likes getting hands on to figure out how to grow a high-potential business
- Is a natural people-person, one that thrives off of building strong relationships both within the organization and externally
- Is willing to spend 40-50% of his/her time on the road interacting with partners, resellers and customers.