4 months ago
Endeavor, an international non-profit organization that has a proven model for the development of entrepreneurial ecosystems, is looking for a dynamic professional to join its team in Kenya.
The Organization: Established in 1997, Endeavor is leading a global movement to catalyze long-term economic growth by selecting, mentoring, and accelerating high-impact entrepreneurs worldwide. 20 years later, Endeavor has screened 50,000+ candidates and selected 2,000+ entrepreneurs. These entrepreneurs have created over 2 Million high-value jobs and generate more than $20 billion in annual revenues with support from Endeavor’s growing network of 3,000+ local and global business leaders. Endeavor entrepreneurs include MercadoLibre, a NASDAQ-listed e-commerce technology company with annual revenues of $170MM, and Cellulant, a leading African payments business that raised over US$ 48M Series C round last year. For more information on their model, please visit: http://endeavor.org/model/ourmodel
Endeavor’s model catalyzes a chain reaction in the larger economy—driving investment, creating role models, and incubating the next Silicon Valley in Rio or Cape Town, Cairo or Jakarta. It is a model that Thomas Friedman hailed as the “best anti-poverty program of all” and one that New York City-based Endeavor, along with its 34 independently-run affiliates in Latin America, the Middle East, East Asia, Europe, the United States, and Africa, will help to generate three million jobs by 2020.
This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Managing Director Endeavor Kenya.
Works with: Endeavor Entrepreneur Selection and Growth (ESG) Team, Mentor Network and Endeavor Entrepreneurs in Kenya and Globally, Board of Directors Kenya, Global team in NYC and SF, Associates and Account Managers of ESG teams from global offices.
Account Manager Roles and Responsibilities: Collaborate in the search and selection process of high-impact entrepreneurs in Kenya. Ensure that they meet the profile of Endeavor Entrepreneurs based on Endeavor’s globally established criteria and selection process. Primary responsibilities include to directly manage a portfolio of entrepreneurs, oversee the search and servicing efforts of direct reports, facilitate productive advisory board meetings, and recruit mentors. Account managers play a leadership role in setting priorities, managing relationships with key stakeholders and developing the team.
- Selection of highest potential entrepreneurs:
- Proactively screen for potential entrepreneurs that meet the criteria and profile of Endeavor Entrepreneurs. This search should be conducted through a wide range of sources, network contacts, media, and collaborators.
- Manage selection process which begins by contacting candidates and potential entrepreneurs, conducting interviews, and coordinating meetings with mentors and selection panels.
- Gather information in order to develop company reports to be used in selection panels. Items under consideration include the specific business model, growth potential, innovation, financial statements, team, and corporate governance.
- Prepare and train candidates for the selection panels, ensuring an adequate use and understanding of the selection process. Facilitate selection panel sessions.
- Collaborate with the Entrepreneur Selection and Growth teams of Endeavor offices globally, looking to share best practices in the pre and post selection processes in order to guarantee optimal results.
- Participate in national and international events.
2. Acceleration of entrepreneur impact through Endeavor services:
- Deliver services to chosen entrepreneurs, defining priorities based on their needs and requirements. Account manager will directly manage a portfolio of seven to ten Endeavor Entrepreneurs, and oversee servicing efforts of junior reports.
- Continuously monitor companies striving to attain planned services, entrepreneur satisfaction, and entrepreneur engagement to keep them active within Endeavor’s network.
- Support coordination of the mentor network and recruit junior mentors. Manage mentor onboarding experience and mentor communication, with an understanding of mentor usage and the added value they can provide.
- Facilitate productive advisory board meetings.
- Coordinate Endeavor Global projects with the New York team, including hosting international professionals to work with Endeavor Entrepreneurs, developing and elaborating Entrepreneur Services guidelines around the world and implementing new programs.
- Organize and coordinate events and workshops in diverse areas of interest for Endeavor Entrepreneurs.
- Perform collection and analysis of annual metrics and other indicators to measure Endeavor’s impact on its entrepreneurs.
- Suggest and develop new services for entrepreneurs, and improve the value proposition of services for entrepreneurs.
- Develop and build on strategic partnerships that drive office sustainability and enhance entrepreneur service delivery.
Skills and abilities
- Strong interest and passion for business, economics, entrepreneurship, and/or international development.
- Three to six years of relevant work experience in business, consulting, entrepreneurship, venture capital, finance, or international development.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Proficient Kiswahili and English (100%), oral and written.
- High interpersonal and organizational abilities and strong attention to detail.
- Strength in business areas and an understanding of finance, with an ability to identify and evaluate entrepreneurs, business models, companies, and projects.