BuildX Studio pioneers turnkey climate-positive, human-centred design and construction in East Africa to create dignified and healthy built environments. They believe that a well designed and built environment and a more equitable construction industry is critical to public health, economic growth and environmental resilience.
They offer award-winning architecture, engineering and construction services as a turnkey (or ‘end-to-end’) package tailored to the education, healthcare and affordable housing sectors.
BuildX Studio is looking to hire a new Finance Director to drive financial leadership, company growth and accountability across financial management controls and systems. You must be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills and executive-level experience. You should be motivated to work within a dynamic and challenging start-up environment alongside a diverse team driven by a shared social purpose.
The Finance Director should be a strategic pragmatist, unafraid to create a vision and strategy for financial growth, and then roll their sleeves up and get to work. They are looking for someone with tenacity and grit, unafraid to challenge the business.
Strategic Financial Leadership & Planning
- Provide real-time accurate financial and business performance analyses, insights and reports to the CEO and the Board to enable effective and informed decision-making.
- Support the strategic development of the company, developing budgets and providing guidance to the CEO on financial and wider company strategy.
- Quickly develop a detailed and nuanced understanding of the business model and operations, and company strategy, to ensure proactive action based on the key levers of success within their model.
- Aggressively manage the financial performance of the company to ensure the company achieves investor targets and project goals relative to growth and profitability.
- Structure, negotiate and lead fundraising of working capital investments based on company requirements and strategy.
- Build financial models for company operations, strategy and projects, particularly new ventures or initiatives, and advise on financial risk and opportunity factors.
- Manage, mentor and supervise the finance team and, where possible, other company staff to build their capacity, confidence and knowledge, and to build a high-functioning and motivated team.
- Set comprehensive goals for staff performance and growth, and uphold clear reporting, data capture and measurement structures.
- Contribute towards business development, as an ambassador and winner of work for the company (a shared responsibility for all Directors).
- Pro-actively embrace and promote BuildX Studio’s company culture and values both internally and externally.
- Uphold and support BuildX Studio’s social mission and demonstrate commitment to ensuring social impact goals are met across the organisation, including to Buildher (their sister organisation) by advocating for and driving increased female representation across all of their workforce.
Financial Control & Oversight
- Take ownership over and demand the strictest levels of compliance and engagement with all company systems and controls to ensure the successful performance of their services and uphold a culture of accurate, clear and transparent communication and reporting at all levels.
- Regularly evaluate internal financial risk management systems and ensure the highest levels of control.
- Carry out internal audits on all projects, to evidence and drive performance and accountability.
- Manage the company’s cash flow, at both project and corporate levels, to ensure financial stability and growth.
- Oversee the annual audit process and ensure full and timely compliance with all statutory obligations.
- Regularly analyze internal operations and identify areas of financial management enhancement.
- Support the preparation and control of project bids.
- High personal integrity, trustworthiness and reliability.
- Experience in similar level (executive) management. Financial leadership experience within the construction industry will be considered a bonus.
- An understanding of all facets of financial management and strategy.
- Strong problem-solving skills and proven ability to proactively foresee and mitigate challenges, problems and risks.
- A rigorous details-oriented mindset, able to perform at a high level with complex challenges and unafraid of getting their hands dirty.
- Demonstrable aptitude for clear and prompt decision-making within a challenging and pressured environment.
- Substantial experience in enterprise risk management systems and driving compliance and accountability across all company departments, not just finance.
- Knowledge of the investment (incl. impact investment) landscape and a proven track record in successfully structuring, negotiating and closing investment deals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including leading and working with others from different cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrable track record of building effective, motivated and organised teams.
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Solid financial analysis and financial modelling skills. An understanding of the nuances of construction and real estate finance and budgets will be considered a bonus.
- Trained in commonly used industry software (MS Excel, Quickbooks, Sage, SAP, etc.) and an aptitude for learning new software.
- Strong organisational skills with an ordered and disciplined approach to both personal and team document management and reporting.
- Strategic thinking abilities including being able to seamlessly move between the detailed and the “bigger picture”.
- Minimum 15 years’ professional experience in a financial or related sector and at least 3 years at an executive level.
- Degree qualification in relevant finance or related degree and a MBA (or otherwise demonstrate considerable business experience).
- Proven track record in investment fundraising.
- Willing and able to live in Nairobi and travel as required within Kenya.
- Experience working in East Africa or in other similar contexts is considered a bonus.
- Passionate about social and environmental impact, and empowering women.
- Resourceful, independent and proactive worker, able to perform to an exceptionally high standard under pressure.
- Registration with a relevant professional board or body will be considered a bonus.
In addition to outlining your relevant expertise and experience, please also tell us why you want to work at BuildX Studio.