Fenix International is a technology company whose mission is to transform their customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Their flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable installments from just $0.19 per day. They use real-time transaction data to create a next-generation credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans.
In 2017, Fenix announced that it was joining forces with ENGIE, one of the largest energy companies in the world. Fenix will operate as an independent company within the ENGIE group. Together, Fenix and ENGIE plan to bring life-changing energy and financial services to millions of off-grid customers across Africa in the next 5 years.
This is an incredible opportunity to work with a high-performing team supporting Fenix’s mission to bring inclusive and affordable energy and financial services to millions across Africa.
The Government and Policy Director-Africa will be responsible for developing policy frameworks and advocating for favorable government policies, regulations, and standards to support Fenix’s business and customer interests in sub-Saharan Africa. The position is based in Uganda and the portfolio includes East, West, and Southern Africa. The policy director will work in close collaboration with local managing directors to support relationships with bilateral and international institutions, trade associations, NGOs, relevant government officials and influencers.
- Fenix’s long-term vision and near-term goals.
- Provide exceptional guidance and support to Fenix Global and Country Leads across Africa in collaboration with CFO
- Build and lead a high performing, dynamic Global Government & Policy Team serving West/Francophone Africa and East/Anglophone Africa to further support Country Teams and ensure we can achieve Fenix’s long-term goals
- Serve on the Fenix Leadership Team and drive to achieve Fenix’s mission and values.
Policy Strategy and Execution
- Develop and execute policy strategy to ensure government policies support Fenix’s interests in renewable energy, financial services, data, import tariffs, market access, employment and labor law, and necessary compliance approvals for the company's products, team, and services, working closely with:
- Business Development/Market Expansion Team to analyze and drive policy in new markets
- MDs and their commercial teams facing significant policy challenges and opportunities
- Talent team to analyze and help inform labor policy where it is a key risk or opportunity; and manage visa and work permit-related issues for relevant employees in-country to ensure long-term retention in-country as necessary
- Credit to analyze project and financial services/lending regulation
- Analyze policy framework in all mature markets and high priority new markets and proactively identity key policy risks and opportunities and support country leadership to respond accordingly
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key government officials in Africa, key industry associations, and bilateral and international institutions that conduct advocacy with governments to advance Fenix’s growth objectives and establish policies to promote profitable growth and minimize adverse actions
- Be the face of Fenix in meetings with politicians, policy makers, and international institutions, and communicate Fenix’s positions on key policy issues in appropriate forums
- Support the drafting of papers and articles for media and public relations purposes
- Develop strategic responses and lead crisis management in event of Government intervention in market or elections that require hands-on involvement to safeguard Fenix interests and employees
- Own reporting for government-related funding, projects, and grants
- Provide assistance and work with grantees to ensure successful, compliant execution of grant projects and advocacy campaign.
- Demonstrated passion for the Fenix mission, values and customers
- 5+ years of advocacy experience in Africa
- Ability to identify & analyze policy and the implications it has on Fenix’s business
- Ability to create policy strategy (offense and defense) and drive results through exceptional execution and relationship-building skills
- Entrepreneurial experience and mindset
- Very strong critical and analytical thinking skills; ability to work with large amounts of data to develop strategy and make rigorous decisions
- Highly organized and able to follow through and prioritize tasks
- Proven experience as a collaborative, hands-on team player and eagerness to learn new tools and/or roll up sleeves to get the job done
- Committed to living in Africa for 3+ years
- Willingness to travel frequently across Africa
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English (bilingual in French is desired)