3 months ago
Jubilee Insurance Ltd. was established as the first incorporated Insurance Company based in Mombasa in August 1937. They have since spread their wings and sphere of influence as the No. 1 Insurance Company in the region with offices in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and Mauritius and are recognized as the largest Composite Insurer in East Africa with over 450,000 clients.
They are listed in the Nairobi Securities Exchange, Dar Es Salaam Stock Exchange and the Uganda Securities Exchange having been rated highly on Leadership, Quality and Risk Management and awarded AA- rating in Kenya & Uganda and an A+ in Tanzania. As of December 2016, Jubilee’s total asset base was KSH 90.6 Billion with a profit before tax of KSH 4.6 Billion.
Jubilee Insurance Company of Kenya, ahead of the expected changes in regulation, will be split into three separate companies - life insurance, medical insurance and general insurance, with each company having its own General Manager/CEO.
This change has opened up a new role for a General Manager – General Division. S/he will be based in the Head Office in Nairobi, and will report to the Chief Operating Officer, Kenya. Their main purpose will be to provide leadership, coordinate underwriting, business development and claims required in running a profitable portfolio.
Strategic Roles & Responsibilities
- Draw up business plans and budgets for board approval.
- Constantly review market needs and advise top management on trends, developments and needs for new products and enhancements.
- Supervise and coordinate all activities of General Division in relation to service providers & consumers.
- Direct and supervise the claims management in line with the company's vision and mission.
Financial Roles & Responsibilities
- Monitor execution of business plans to achieve set production budgets as measured by growth, new business and business retention ratios.
- Achieve underwriting profitability by maintaining loss and expense ratios at acceptable levels to be agreed for each year.
- Monitor receivables management to achieve board requirements as per authorized plan.
- Ensure proper and efficient claims administration in line with the best practices as per the contracts with various stakeholders.
- Supervise and ensure compliance of obligations with the regulator.
- Liaise with the top management on bargaining for adequate reinsurance arrangements for all general lines of business.
- Direct and supervise the General division on best underwriting practices.
- Provide excellent customer service and guarantee customer satisfaction in all areas as per the specific operational service level agreements.
- Develop the underwriting and claims management skills and capacity of the staff and maintain acceptable level of staff turnover.
- Establish best practice underwriting standards and ensure they are maintained as per JICK guidelines.
- Delegate underwriting authority appropriately, supervise downward delegation and ensure delegated authority is not abused.
- Execute delegated signing authority diligently.
- Develop a quality assurance team to conduct daily audits of underwriting and claims and ensure compliance as per the adopted standards.
- Ensure general division is staffed with the required number and skills.
- Ensure staff are appraised as per the company guidelines.
- Coach and mentor staff in preparation for higher roles, career development and succession planning; develop a training plan for all senior staff in the department.
- Achievement of the budget and growth targets.
- Achievement of the target loss ratios.
- Strict adherence to all Claim settlement procedures and timelines.
- Provision of excellent customer service at all levels.
Direct Reports (jobs)
GWP Profit/Loss Targets
Annual General Division Budget
Heads of Department and Managers
Brokers, agents and clients
- Bachelor of Commerce (Insurance or Engineering Degree Option) or Graduate with Business, Insurance or Actuarial degree.
- Diploma/Advanced Diploma in professional insurance (ACII) or working towards completion of the Diploma.
- MBA or Master’s Degree is an added advantage.
- Visionary Leadership
- Entrepreneur Spirit
- Market Awareness
- Customer Focus
- Continuous Innovation
- Ownership & Commitment
- Team Spirit
- 10 years’ management experience
- Performance Reporting and Financial Management.
- Underwriting expertise.
- Strong understanding of application of reinsurance.
- Policy processing.
- New idea generation.