3 months ago
Lori is a venture-backed start-up building the cutting-edge logistics infrastructure for trucking in Africa. The start-up is tackling a massive issue - $180 billion is spent annually on haulage across Africa, which means that up to 75% of a product’s cost is due to logistics (compared to 6% in the US).
Lori’s tech-enabled and operations-driven marketplace efficiently connects transport to cargo. The supply chain management system brings transparency and has significantly improved flexibility, reliability, and cost savings (savings upwards of 18%). The company has experienced 30% month-over-month compounded growth since product launch in May 2017.
The market demand for Lori’s platform is increasing exponentially. To continue this pace of growth, Lori recently closed a landmark raise from globally leading institutional and strategic investors. The company won Techcrunch’s Battlefield Africa.
The Lori team of ~60 employees is led by nerds obsessed with revolutionizing logistics in Africa:
- Josh Sandler, CEO: industrialization and logistics work; Harvard MBA/MPA-ID, South African native
- Jean-Claude Homawoo, CPO: Product Lead at Google, VP Strategy at iRoko; Harvard MBA, Togolese native
- Fredrik Johansson, COO: COO of $80mm Swedish supply chain company; MSc in Engineering (thesis in Tanzania)
- S. Andrew Musoke, CCO: VP (Sales) at JP Morgan; United Tech; Harvard MBA, Ugandan native
- Gichini Ngaruiya, CTO: Y Combinator, co-founder/CTO of E la Carte (raised $50mm+); MIT CS, Kenyan native
Lori is seeking a Head of East Africa to optimize, scale and run Lori’s East African operations. They are seeking a strong leader with significant experience in managing teams, operations excellence and driving results. You will operate with autonomy, working to build up and drive business in the region. Success in the role will be evidenced by achieving strategic revenue growth and implementing effective systems and structures.
- Build and lead a world-class sales and operations team; drive teams to grow demand and transport.
- Drive maximum performance & dedication across teams.
- Execute on core operations strategy & deliver results.
- Implement processes to drive operational efficiency and scale.
- Work closely with executive team to iterate & refine strategy.
- Set goals & track performance.
- Evaluate performance by analyzing & interpreting data and metrics.
- Grow & lead operations in Kenya, followed by Uganda and Rwanda.
Skills and Attributes
- Interpersonal skills and positivity.
- Exceptional organizational skills, structured thinking and focus on delivering results.
- A passion for setting up processes, systems and structures.
- Great attention to detail and a willingness to micromanage when necessary.
- The ability to balance high-level strategic thinking and hands-on effectiveness.
- Entrepreneurial passion and a self-motivated nature.
- Strong understanding of operational management processes.
- Experience motivating and managing teams.
- A thirst for tackling big challenges and building big businesses.
Qualifications & Experience
- East African native/experience in EAC.
- Proven experience as VP operations or similar.
- 10+ years’ experience in logistics or transportation.
- Demonstrated aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Experience managing complex and competing demands requiring effective prioritization and rapid response.
- Experience leading teams in high growth, entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Working knowledge of data analysis & performance/operation metrics.
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure (CRM, ERP systems).
- Graduate degree in Engineering or Business.