Jubilee Insurance Ltd. was established as the first incorporated Insurance Company based in Mombasa in August 1937. They have since spread their wings and sphere of influence as the No. 1 Insurance Company in the region with offices in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi and Mauritius and are recognized as the largest Composite Insurer in East Africa with over 450,000 clients.
They are listed in the Nairobi Securities Exchange, Dar Es Salaam Stock Exchange and the Uganda Securities Exchange having been rated highly on Leadership, Quality and Risk Management and awarded AA- rating in Kenya & Uganda and an A+ in Tanzania. As of December 2016, Jubilee’s total asset base was KSH 90.6 Billion with a profit before tax of KSH 4.6 Billion.
Reporting to the Group CIO, this role is responsible for the overall management of IT functions in Kenya in the areas of Infrastructure, Applications & Digital Transformation. The Head of IT will lead a team of senior section heads to ensure delivery of quality IT service to the business with 99.9% uptime. The direct reports for this role are – Head of IT Infrastructure, Head of Core Applications, Manager – Enterprise Systems and Manager – Digital Transformation. Key interfaces are Business and IT (internal) and OEMS/Vendors (external).
- Strategy: Participate in the development of IT Strategy and annual IT plan for Kenya businesses and be responsible for ensuring that the ICT strategy & initiatives are executed on time and with measurable results.
- Infrastructure: Ensure optimal operational performance of IT infrastructure while working with OEMs & vendors.
- Applications: Oversee all aspects of applications requirements, development, deployment & maintenance while working with the stakeholders from all LoBs.
- Ensure 99.9% uptime of key IT services through proactive management & maintenance.
- Data Recovery Setup & Test Run to ensure business continuity.
- Ensure the team delivers on the SLAs / KPIs for service request resolution with active service monitoring, proactive notification & continuous improvement measures.
- Training & Skills: Develop & implement team’s technical up-skilling programs aimed at building a technically competent IT team.
- Innovation & Excellence: Implement initiatives to improve IT infrastructure & applications aimed at achieving service excellence.
- Escalations: Management of escalated technical challenges from engineers & comprehensive resolution within SLA & as per defined support processes & policies.
- Budget: Budget, Requisitions & Invoicing.
- Others: Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
Three Key Deliverables
- Participate in planning & execution of all IT initiatives for all LoBs.
- Ensure all business lines are well supported from an IT perspective.
- Ensure 99.9% uptime for all systems
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science from a recognized University.
- Relevant Certifications.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on logical analysis.
- Demonstrated leadership & personnel management skills.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals & objectives.
- Strong communicator who is able to translate & adapt message for different stakeholder groups including technical & non-technical audiences.
- Excellent listening & negotiating skills.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to prioritize & execute tasks in a high-pressure environment & make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Proven analytical & problem-solving abilities.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- At least 7 years of experience in a leadership role in IT in a large organization.
- Ability to engage with senior executives.
- Good domain knowledge of insurance or banking.
- Problem solving and thought leadership is a key attribute that is expected from this role & candidates need to demonstrate experience of providing this to senior customer stakeholders & to achieved buy-in & ultimate benefit realization.
- Senior / experienced individual who needs minimal supervision, can competently manage both their own time & activities.
- Strong people management skills; ensuring completion of projects on a timely basis; ensuring clear & appropriate prioritization & planning of activities, & utilizing resources in an effective & efficient fashion.
- Good grasp of emerging technologies