over 1 year ago
AMI is a social enterprise pioneering a scalable approach to workplace learning in Africa. They deliver blended learning journeys, combining a web & mobile app, in-person workshops and on-the-job practice to help businesses develop productive and motivated workforces, entrepreneurs build thriving enterprises, and job seekers advance their careers.
AMI is expanding rapidly. They have raised investment from international investors, established offices in Nairobi and Johannesburg, engaged an impressive portfolio of clients in East, West and Southern Africa, and trained over 20,000 individuals through 65 blended learning programmes in 11 African countries. AMI is now looking for a Head of Operations and Talent to establish the systems to support growth, support expansion into new markets and ensure their international operations work like clockwork.
This is a chance for an outstanding entrepreneurial leader to be part of Africa’s transformation, and to help shape, build and scale one its most innovate social businesses.
The Head of Operations and Talent must be a practical leader with a proven track record of working with high-growth entrepreneurial businesses in Africa. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic international and local team, and will be based in – or willing to move to - Nairobi.
The Head of Operations and Talent will focus on 3 core areas: people, processes and new markets. Core responsibilities include leading all internal operations and building the people, back office and operating systems to underpin AMI’s growth in the region. S/he must be comfortable with managing legal, governance, compliance and financial processes and systems.
Operations, Governance & Financial Management
- Oversee all internal operations across markets. This will involve day-to-day general management of their head office in Nairobi (including rent/utilities/procurement), as well as supporting GMs/country heads in Johannesburg and new markets.
- Work with colleagues in marketing, sales, product, learning and programmes to ensure seamless systems, data management and customer experiences across the organisation.
- Work with their Financial Director, external providers and the bank to manage and monitor book-keeping, payments, invoicing, payroll, audit and financial management in Kenya, and work with GMs/country heads elsewhere to ensure financial, tax, legal and governance compliance.
- Arrange for accreditation with the local country authorities, where appropriate.
- Overseeing management of AMI events, in partnership with marketing colleagues.
- Develop AMI’s talent pipeline across geographies by building relationships with partners and raising AMI’s employer brand. Develop selection strategies and processes for core roles.
- Be a culture champion, working with local country heads to promote their core values and ‘the AMI way’ across their markets.
- Develop and implement company-wide strategies around remuneration, retention and performance management.
- Work with their learning team to refine AMI’s on-boarding programme and develop ongoing learning and development, particularly in new geographies.
- Establish and improve HR systems, policies and processes, including contracts, compensation and benefits.
- Work with the CEO and commercial director to analyse potential new markets and segments. Conduct operational due diligence on new opportunities, including on governance, legal structure and talent.
- Establish operational processes and systems that can be replicated in new markets.
- Support set-up for new market entry, including identifying and on-boarding of senior team, establishing legal structures and core operational frameworks.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to execute methodically.
- Ability to create order from chaos. Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment but able to design and implement effective structures and policies.
- Unflinching attention to detail. Outstanding organizational and administrative skills. Are you the most organised person you know?
- Enthusiasm and commitment for AMI’s vision of transformation through skills development.
- Decision Making & Problem Solving Skills - ability to identify and resolve problems and generate alternative solutions
- Work well with people. Culturally adept. Ability to communicate effectively across different levels, with local and international teams and stakeholders.
- Proven ability to build and lead a team, motivate staff, manage performance and drive delivery. Ability to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative cross-border leadership team.
- An unwavering commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation, accountability, caring and integrity.
- Willingness to engage in robust debate alongside deep respect for others.
- Absolutely rock-solid integrity.
Qualifications & Experience
- At least 8-10 years experience in operations, general management, talent/HR or project management, with at least three years at a senior level (essential).
- Experience working in a leadership role in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment in Africa (essential).
- Experience in business operations and financial management, including managing budgets and KPIs (essential).
- Experience working with a social business or enterprise (preferred but not essential).
- Masters degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience.