Our client is a leading global producer of industrial minerals – mainly fillers and pigments derived from calcium carbonate and dolomite – and a worldwide distributor of specialty chemicals. The company provides a wealth of product solutions that contribute to its customers' competitiveness and productivity in multiple industries such as Construction, Printing & Writing, Technical Polymers, Packaging, Food, Personal & Home Care, Pharmaceuticals, Agriculture and Forestry, Water and Energy.
With a global presence extending to more than 175 locations in over 50 countries, our client is now looking to increase its presence within the East African market and is seeking an experienced, dynamic and passionate Head of Sales.
The Head of Sales will lead and manage all sales activities for the market segment within the region to maximize sales growth opportunities and profitability. S/he will develop suitable business plans and ensure successful implementation to meet the company’s business growth targets. This role reports directly to the General Manager East Africa, with a dotted reporting line to the Sales Director Africa.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Develop, implement and execute sales strategy for the sales segments for the country to achieve the organization's short and long-term sales goals (calcium carbonate products and chemical specialty distribution).
- Provide close collaboration with local management team and Group Functions to implement and meet country objectives.
- Develop and oversee execution of sales plans for the country.
- Lead a future sales team within the countries in the Area (East Africa), who can competently achieve marketing business plans, sales budgets, drive top line results, and support and consult the customers in all aspects on their applications.
- Monitor sales performance for the product segment within the country including volume, price, receivables, and complaints.
- Provide information to Area, Region and Group management as requested.
- Conduct and conclude negotiations with customers/principals as directed.
- Work closely with Group Sales & Marketing and create a collaborative environment for enhancing sales growth for the product segment and new products within the country / countries.
- Develop and manage high level and strategic account interaction.
- In conjunction with Human Resources, hold responsibility for the development of sales management and staff within the assigned country / countries, to include recruitment, training and development, promotion, succession planning, and compensation to meet the company’s business growth plans.
- Sales (Price, Volume, Terms)
- Gross Profit (over standard cost)
- % of new business/total sales
- Direct sales cost
- Account receivables
- Internal Contacts
- General Manager
- Customer Service
- External Contacts
- Customers / Key Customers
- University (Degree or Diploma) in Business, Engineering or Science disciplines.
- 5+ years of experience in sales roles for a similar industrial business/industry.
- Technical and/or sales experience in Industrial Minerals and/or Chemicals.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Active “hands-on” sales approach with a high level of energy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and social competence.
- Ability for planning, development and execution of sales & marketing strategies/business plans.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Highly motivated and results orientated person, perseverant, and able to work with limited daily supervision.
- Excellent command of both oral and written local language and English are required.
- Good command of both oral and written additional language is beneficial.
- Ready to travel (about 40/50% within the country and occasionally beyond).