over 2 years ago
Our client is a private equity impact investor targeting both attractive financial returns and measurable, positive social and/or environmental impact. The fund invests in purpose-driven companies that have scalable business models and provide disadvantaged people with access to essential services, products and livelihood opportunities.
Headquartered in Zurich with local teams in Latin America, Africa, India, Southeast Asia, China, and the UK, the fund focuses on sectors with investment opportunities in growth markets such as education, health, agriculture, energy, information and communication technologies. To date the fund has invested over USD 54 million into 17 companies, improving the quality of life of 2.4 million disadvantaged people in 2015 alone.
Our client is seeking an Investment Director to strengthen its Africa team. The Investment Director will help source innovative investment opportunities that have the potential to significantly advance the Fund’s goals, then lead deal teams on the negotiation, execution and portfolio management of venture investments, including serving as the Fund’s board representative or observer for certain investee companies. Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Source investment opportunities, develop rapport with internal and external stakeholders, coordinate due-diligence, construct and negotiate term sheets, attend to legal documentation, close and exit Program-Related investments
- Source potential investments through active outreach and relationship-building
- Conduct due-diligence on specific opportunities to assess attractiveness and structure relationships.
- Lead negotiation, structuring, and execution of investments and partnerships, working with the Partner and Business Sponsor.
- Prepare and present business case analysis and risk evaluation for investments, including proposals to the Fund’s Investment Committee
- Lead transaction negotiations and communicate effectively with entrepreneurs, management teams, syndicate partners, and other stakeholders, including attorneys, consultants, and Board Members
- Manage portfolio investments through frequent interaction with company leadership (management, board, investors) and strategic partners, and represent the Fund as an observer to the board, ensuring progress against programmatic and financial benchmarks
- Provide leadership and development to junior members of the team
Education and experience
- 8+ years of experience within private equity or venture capital
- MBA or equivalent management degree from a premier institute; CFA also preferred
- Superior oral, written and visual communication skills
- Strong networking and relationship development skills
- Proven teamwork skills both as a leader and cross-functional team member
- Self-motivated with high initiative
- Demonstrable interest / passion for addressing social and environmental issues