over 1 year ago
Our client is a public limited company focused on the importation and sale of consumer products and the letting of investment property. They operate primarily in Kenya, with operations in Tanzania, Uganda and Burundi.
The company is now seeking a dynamic and experienced Managing Director (MD) to help lead growth and innovation of business operations. The MD will develop and execute the company’s business strategies, provide strategic advice to the Board, and prepare and implement comprehensive business plans to facilitate the achievement of set business objectives and goals. S/he will report to the Board of Directors.
Overseeing responsibilities for the day-to-day aspects of current and future operations of the Company, working closely with the Board, Board Committees and Chairman, ensuring the smooth and stable running of departments and related entities/partners and dealing with matters of whatever nature as they arise.
• Work with the Board and maintain a strategic direction for business and operations
• Monitor the external environment, regulatory condition, read the market, anticipate change, alert the Board and Chair to these, and assess likely impact of change on the business
• Identify new opportunities within the market and lead the development of innovative products and services
• Oversee the growth of market share of existing operations in the short to medium term
• Provide financial and operational support to the development of new strategic initiatives working closely with Board and Management and plan and implement the necessary organisation development
• Assess risk/benefit of strategic projects and minimise impact on current performance
• Provide financial and analytical support in any major negotiations related to strategic business proposals
• Effectively manage staff and oversee their motivation and development to achieve high set targets
Sales & Marketing
• Ensures and oversees to it that the Company’s reputation is upheld and market expectations are met
• Oversee the direct interface with clients and ensure the delivery of excellent customer service and product at all times
• Oversee the development and maintenance of an effective marketing strategy and plan
• Ensure there is up to date market intelligence on all sectors where the Company operates
• Active networking and involvement in delivery of marketing and PR activities
• Ensure business growth and sales targets are met
Oversee proper management and control of finance activities that will include among others;
• Agreeing operating goals, assign budgets, track performance and monitor progress
• Reviewing operational costs in light of other relevant providers and best practice
• Recommending to the Board capital appropriations and report on annual results
• Reviewing capital expenditure and revenue growth
• Develop annual capital and operating income and expenditure budgets for review and approval by the board.
• Monitor and safeguard existing assets
• Optimizing working capital management and maintaining debtors and inventory levels within set parameters
• Efficiency of internal controls, checks and balances
• Oversee the maintenance and improvement of overall operational performance especially supply chain. Ensure product availability at all times
• Ensure succession and contingency plans and resources are in place for all key operational roles
• Oversee the full documentation of all operational systems and policies in an accessible form
• Oversee the consistency of systems across the Business
• Making sure that there is effective control of the organisation to ensure best practice in the provision of products and services to clients is maintained at all times
• Leverage ICT systems for operational effectiveness and efficiency while mitigating all ICT related risks
• Oversee and manage business and operational risk – inherent and future
• Articulate the culture of the Company and lead a positive work environment
• Prescribe limitations of authority for reporting staff in regard to commitments, expenditures and personnel actions
• Oversee that regular performance reviews with all staff is undertaken across the business
• Identify and retain talented senior managers and team leaders to inspire teams below
Shareholders & Stakeholders
• Monitor and report to the Board and Chair the reactions of stakeholders and respond accordingly
• Oversee and ensure that relationships with key stakeholders in the business ecosystem is developed and maintained with Board involvement and support
• Support the engagement and development of relationships with third parties to ensure viability and competitiveness in a changing business environment
Regulation & Compliance
Maintain an effective system of communication with the relevant regulatory authorities supervising the Company. Ensures adherence to applicable corporate governance, legal and tax regulations.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
• This is a high-stress position based on full responsibility for the Company’s operations. Handles detailed, complex concepts and problems, balances multiple tasks simultaneously, and makes rapid decisions regarding operational and administrative issues.
• Plans and implements programs. Establishes strong and appropriate relationships with Board, committees, communities, stakeholders, staff, financiers, suppliers and clients. Develops smooth and constructive relationships with executive colleagues, outside agencies, organizations and individuals.
• Plans and meets deadlines. Maintains a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management. Hours may be long and irregular.
• Conveys a professional and positive image and attitude regarding the Company and demonstrates commitment to continued professional growth and development.
The ideal candidate should have/be:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in a business related field, and an MBA would be an added advantage
• A minimum of 20 years work experience in a commercial setting required with a minimum of 8 years’ experience in a senior management position at executive leadership level (i.e. Excom) as GM or MD.
• As Managing Director, this jobholder demonstrates critical competencies in four broad categories: commitment to results, business savvy, leading change, and motivating.
Commitment to Results
The MD is a systems thinker who is customer focused and goal driven. S/he identifies relevant information and helps transform this information into individual and organizational knowledge and learning. The MD is action oriented and innovative. S/he translates broad goals into achievable steps. S/he anticipates and solves problems and takes advantage of opportunities, is a self-starter and team player.
As MD, this position requires an individual with knowledge of and experience in business, sales, management and administration. The position requires demonstrated experience in integrating and coordinating diverse areas of management.
• Knowledge in the following areas is required: sales, human resources services, legal, finance and personnel; oral and written communications; planning and evaluation; and governance.
• Some experience in the field of sales and marketing,, operations, governance, Report writing, strategy development, governance, and customer service is preferred. Some general knowledge of market research and investment and risks management is also preferred.
• A high level of personal and negotiation skills are required to make formal, persuasive presentations to groups and to deal effectively with people from all segments of the market.
• The individual must be comfortable with diversity and respectful of a wide range of faiths, cultures, traditions, beliefs and experiences.
• Experience dealing at Board level will be critical
As the chief executive, the MD possesses the skills and implements the functions of a leader. S/he shares the Company’s values, mission and vision. S/he consistently displays integrity, models behaviour, develops people, and builds teams. This individual deals effectively with demanding situations and designs and implements interventions.
The MD manages continuity, change and transition. This individual knows how to influence and enable others. S/he addresses the impact of attitude and action on the Company and its whole business ecosystem.