Nairobi , Kenya
about 1 year ago
The commercial aquaculture industry in East Africa is growing rapidly, based on strong demand and excellent natural resources. Aquafeed is a critical input to this industry, but there is currently no high quality aquafeed produced in the region, leaving commercial farmers to import it, which is expensive, administratively taxing, risk-laden and working capital hungry.
As a result, there is a significant market opportunity to produce high quality aquafeed in East Africa. Victory Farms is seeking to develop a pioneering aquafeed mill in Kenya to address this opportunity, potentially in partnership with a leading international aquafeed mill operator or a local player that is ramping up its capabilities.
The Project Manager will lead the development of this project, through detailed feasibility phase and supporting investor due diligence to construction. There will be the opportunity, should this be desirable to all parties, to take a leadership role in the management of the mill once established.
The role will report to the CEO and will be responsible for:
Feasibility Elements (3-6 months)
- Brief market analysis to clarify in detail the opportunity, targeted customers, key competitors and required quality and pricing of the product(s); ?
- Detailed evaluation of the cost structure for building and operating a feed mill to achieve the above level of quality and price point, including: ?
- Development of basic technical specifications for the mill, bearing in mind and developing opinions on various equipment trade-offs and costing’s, levels of automation, etc.;
- Required human resources;
- Likely sources, quality and costing of raw materials, both those available within East Africa and, for those that need to be imported (including a possible pre-mix), clarifying costs and import hurdles based on country and HS Code at port or border;
- Robust and thorough mapping of the logistical plan for moving inputs into the mill and finished goods out of the mill, including the options and costs for transporting raw materials to the mill site. Options may exist that are not currently in practice in this region, so role also requires candidate to evaluate new or potential transport methods beyond roads;
- Tax incentives available.
- Development of full financial projections for mill, based on the above; ?
- Support information requirements for due diligence of mill investors. ?
Construction and Set-up Elements (8-12 months)
- Prepare detailed flow-through planning for all aspects of operating the mill; ?
- Prepare multiple land site options in areas of interest for the mill and select leader; ?
- Incorporate mill legal entity; ?
- Lead construction of mill on time and budget, including multi-workstream, complex coordination of construction activities, equipment installation and calibration, and testing; ?
- Contribute to negotiation of most favourable terms with local and national governments; ?
- Contribute to mill operator team design and recruitment. ?
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who combines experience with agro-processing, an ability to critically evaluate a complex terrain, and superior organizational skills, attention to detail, numeracy and financial literacy. The Project Manager will bring solid experience in East African markets, and a love for working with world-class talent. ?
- Ability to develop strong and reliable methodologies on costing assumptions, requiring more than a web-based data set – instead combining desk research with field research and actual data points where needed; ?
- Significant experience and understanding of agro-processing, with direct work in building agro organizations, logistics, marketing at multiple levels, and operational sales development; ?
- Teamwork skills that excel in multiple settings, from high-level strategy work and white-boarding, to nitty-gritty in-the-market learning, teaching, and presence; ?
- Ability to learn quickly, develop and test hypotheses, and innovate in an African setting, emphasizing simple and low-cost solutions that are repeatable and easily translatable; ?
- Financial modelling skills; ?
- Dedicated to building a world-class organization with commitment to ethical standards in ?line with global organizations; ?
- Experience developing logistical models with complex supply routes and requirements for fast-paced, high quality deliveries; ?
- Experience in Africa and milling a strong advantage; ?
- Mindset capable to assimilate data + analytics + strategy to formulate action-able plans; ?
- High levels of attention to detail and thoroughness. ?
The nature of the deliverables will continue to evolve based on the work carried out and discussions with potential investors in the mill, but will include: ?
- Basic technical, logistical and organizational plan for the mill; ?
- Robust financial model inclusive of capital outlays, operating costs, and revenue levers; ?
- Detailed Gantt-style planning for all of the steps required to get from today to the first feed bag off the mill; ?
- Map of agricultural lands in East Africa, quantifying current production by region, and potential production by region; ?
- Quantitative and qualitative assessment of geo-political environment, various trade and investment (dis)incentives with qualifications on which are realistic. ?