ENGIE is a global energy and services group, focused on three core activities: low-carbon power generation, mainly based on natural gas and renewable energy, global networks and customer solutions. Driven by their ambition to contribute to a harmonious progress, they take up major global challenges such as the fight against global warming, access to energy to all, or mobility, and offer their residential customers, businesses and communities energy production solutions and services that reconcile individual and collective interests. Their integrated - low-carbon, high-performing and sustainable - offers are based on digital technologies. Beyond energy, they facilitate the development of new uses and promote new ways of living and working.
Their ambition is conveyed by each of their 150,000 employees in 70 countries. Together with their customers and partners, they form a community of imaginative builders who invent and build today solutions for tomorrow.
2017 turnover: 65 billion Euros. Listed in Paris and Brussels (ENGI), the Group is represented in the main financial (CAC 40, BEL 20, Euro STOXX 50, STOXX Europe 600, MSCI Europe, Euronext 100, FTSE Eurotop 100, Euro STOXX Utilities, STOXX Europe 600 Utilities) and extra - financial indices (DJSI World, DJSI Europe and Euronext Vi geo Eiris - World 120, Eurozone 120, Europe 120, France 20, CAC 40 Governance).
ENGIE Africa Business Unit (“ENGIE Africa”) manages the development and operation of thermal power and renewable energy assets in several countries, as well as energy installation and maintenance service activities. It is a first-mover in independent power generation in South Africa and has built one of Africa’s largest wind farms in Morocco. Whether in engineering consulting, facility management or energy efficiency services, ENGIE has built a solid reputation in Africa over the last 50 years.
They are committed to contributing to the sustainable growth in Africa by developing projects in gas infrastructure, centralized and decentralized power production, electricity and gas distribution as well as energy services and industrial energy engineering.
The purpose of this position is to lead the identification, evaluation, development and delivery of business growth opportunities, which fit ENGIE Africa’s strategic objectives.
These opportunities will primarily be focused on new activities related to low carbon power generation (multi-types of generation technology), Cogen, LNG regasification and/or gas projects in the East African market, arising through;
- Greenfield development
- Brownfield development
- Other energy related technology developments
Primary focus will be Eastern Africa however could include other countries across Africa.
The Senior Business Developer will report to the Regional Manager for Eastern Africa and the Chief Business Development for BU Africa. The position has no direct reports. However as the project manager for an approved development, the position will be required to lead and supervise the overall activities and team members identified to deliver the project.
- Develop and maintain a current knowledge of the power and gas sector in Eastern Africa, including competitors, potential partners, key stakeholders and regulatory evolutions in the region.
- Ownership and responsibility to populate the project pipeline through proactive prospection, identification of projects opportunities and assessment of projects feasibility.
- Prepare and present the necessary project documentation for securing a project development budget.
- Lead the development of specific projects and negotiations of all project agreements
- Organization of due diligence missions
- Identification, in consultation with a multidisciplinary team, of the best option for all components of a project: offtake, technology, equity partnership, ownership structures, contractors, suppliers, financing, etc.
- Management of the overall project development from origination to financial/transactional close in a competitive environment, often with short deadlines. This includes the negotiation and finalization of documents such as PPA, Fuel Supply Agreement, Consortium and Shareholders’ Agreements, EPC and O&M arrangements, Financing and Security documents, etc.
- Leadership and management of a team of multidisciplinary specialists primarily in legal, technical, and finance disciplines on development projects.
- Review of all relevant and critical elements in projects.
- Analysis of the project risk allocation and mitigation as per the ENGIE methodology.
- Responsibility of project development budget(s), project overviews, and schedules.
- Active collaboration with various support and other ENGIE functions within and outside of the Business Unit.
- Build up project documentation, prepare and finalise detailed documentation to support investment approval in line with the investment criteria and internal BD procedures.
- Contribution to the general market intelligence, competition and technology watch, etc.
- Contribution to the business development department tasks such as reporting, budgeting, database, etc.
Working relationships with Business Development, Strategy and CSR department, Finance and Tax, AIFA, Technical and Legal will be an essential requirement as part of the project development interface activities and programmes.
The role will be required to have various direct and indirect relationships with the client and customers, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), systems operators, consultants, advisors, competitors as well as regulatory, government and other ‘stakeholders’ and relevant parties.
- Internal colleagues
- Government Regulatory bodies
- Market players in the region and Africa, including potential JV partners and M&A counterparties
- External consultants and project finance banks
Key Result Areas
Below listed activities are intended to describe the essentials and are not intended as an exhaustive list of all job responsibilities and requirements:
- Delivery of successful financial close of projects which meet the criteria and which are genuinely achievable for the business
- Project management to ensure effective control, assessment, resourcing and timing of projects through to delivery
- Effective and clear documentation detailing the nature and key considerations of business opportunities and/or threats
- Provide ‘relevant expertise’ input to project developments
- Compliance control and input into internal Business Development and corporate reporting
Knowledge and Skills
- Detailed knowledge of energy markets of countries in the Africa Continent preferred; Eastern Africa a plus
- Strong working knowledge of agreements, contracts and licenses required to develop, finance, construct and operate power generation and/or gas businesses
- Knowledge of power technologies including gas-fired and renewables i.e. solar, wind, hydro, biomass, geothermal
- Knowledge of project finance mechanics and risk allocation
- Experience at negotiating confidentiality agreements, partnership agreements, offtake agreements, service agreements and other transaction agreements
- Commercial and technical skills including project management, commercial and financial acumen, negotiation experience, and risk assessment
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Able to work in a multicultural environment and multidisciplinary teams
- Strong intellectual capacity and able to deal with complexity
- Strong communication and presentation skills at all levels
- Presence and interpersonal credibility to represent the Company in contacts with key stakeholders, JV partners and external organisations and/or bodies
- Strong ambition and personal drive to meet objectives, with an open, transparent style and flexible approach. Ability to work under pressure and gives what is required to get the job done and takes personal accountability for success.
- Minimum 12 years’ relevant working experience within the power generation industry
- Previous experience in the African or emerging market energy sector is a preference, with work experience in East Africa an additional asset
- Demonstrable track record in successful financial close in the development and implementation of non-recourse financed IPP projects is preferred
- Additional experience in gas business development is desirable
- University Degree in Engineering, Finance or Economics
- International MBA is a plus
- Fluent in English, knowledge of other language(s) is a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Advanced knowledge of Power Point and Excel
Time & Location
- Place of residence: Nairobi, Kenya
- Frequent travel through Africa and particularly within the Eastern African region
- Contract: full time job