about 1 year ago
Copia Global is bringing e-commerce to low-middle income people in the developing world, transforming this historically neglected market into empowered global consumers. It is the best of Amazon plus Fedex plus a healthy dose of BoP expertise. Just as the Sears catalog revolutionized life in the pioneer days of the United States, Fedex revolutionized distribution and Amazon revolutionized life in the internet age, Copia is similarly creating a whole new medium to reach low-middle income consumers.
By making accessible a wide range of trusted, reliable consumer goods - from rice to motorcycles, from mattresses to hammers, from soap to solar lights - Copia improves the quality of life for consumers at the middle and base of the economic pyramid. The advent of mobile technologies is the game changer, enabling Copia to provide a profitable, high quality service to low income people for the first time in history.
With $5T of annual income, the peri-urban and rural populations of the developing world represent a huge untapped market opportunity. These populations remain under-served with no trusted, affordable access to reliable, basic necessities. Using mobile technologies, Copia Global can connect billions of people with the global economy, thereby enhancing their lives.
Founded in Silicon Valley in 2013, Copia started its operations in Kenya and is now serving thousands of locations and customers throughout central Kenya, generating significant monthly revenues and growing at 15% per month.
Got early stage entrepreneurial energy? Ready for a muddy boots experience? Want to build the next Amazon on the new frontier? Based in Nairobi, Kenya and reporting directly to Copa’s CEO, the VP Supply Chain & Logistics will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of supply chain and logistics strategy to support the company’s goals across all countries of operation.
The VP Supply Chain & Logistics’ primary responsibility is to develop strategy, capabilities and initiatives to support company’s performance and be responsible for all Supply Chain & Logistics processes, infrastructure and enablers to meet customer’s expectations. You will lead management routines to monitor core supply chain and logistics performance, including delivering against product and service level agreements and cost objectives utilizing best practice and external bench-marking.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Develop supply chain and logistics strategies that support and meet company strategy, company performance objectives and customer expectations.
- Maintain routines to ensure delivery of core supply chain metrics in terms of cost and service.
- Minimize company risks and maintain compliance in area of environment, health and safety (EHS).
- Identify and develop talent within supply chain and logistics.
- Manage and optimize multi country supply chain & logistics networks with multiple distribution centers.
- Identify and implement best in class supply chain & logistics technology, infrastructure suitable to the scope and size of the business along with disciplines that underlie a supply chain and logistics operation.
- Drive operational excellence and best practices across the network.
The VP Supply Chain & Logistics is a high-level strategist with diverse supply chain & logistics tools in the shed, a day-to-day operational magic maker and a cross-team player. You should not only possess the strategic leadership of a business professional but the creative problem-solving abilities of an entrepreneur, and the desire to roll up your sleeves in the early stage of a company’s development. The ideal candidate has a track record of supply chain & logistics expertise but most importantly, corporate leadership. You will provide leadership on new opportunities to grow the business and be flexible in the fast-changing environment of a start-up business in a developing country context.
Specifically, the VP Supply Chain and Logistics will have:
- A university level degree in Business or Engineering.
- Over 15 years of supply chain management & logistics experience in progressively senior positions. Operations experience is required and experience in a retail and/or e-commerce environment would be advantageous.
- Strategic planning skills, a strategic thinker with confidence and speed in execution.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong analytical, financial & P&L skills required to succeed, demonstrated ability of managing performance, supply/demand forecasting & distribution across a variety of product lines.
- In depth knowledge of key supply chain & logistics processes, technology and current best practices.
- A customer-centric outlook with results driven focus centered on quality management and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to create, lead and inspire a team.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the company.
- Flexibility to thrive in an unstructured environment.
- Ability to embrace changing market dynamics.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Capacity to build relationships internally and externally.
- Solid judgement to know what is appropriate for the company size/scope.